Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Three in a row?

I woke up to a beautiful morning this past Sunday but I also woke up to a whole lot of ideas of things I needed to do and to change.  I voiced my ideas to Jay and he agreed.  Most of the things I was talking about are things that we both have thought about, yeah, should do that, but never seem to put any of it into action.  Well, we started to figure out how to stop talking about it and start doing it.
It was a fairly busy Sunday without getting out of hand.  Things went fairly easily and we actually got quite a few of these things we have been thinking about in place.  One of the things we both needed to try harder at was getting back into some kind of exercise routine.  But Jay doesn't exercise.  I've tried to get him to walk and he will flatly turn me down.  I'm not sure why I keep asking but I did and this time he said yes!  Not only did he say yes but we worked out a three day a week plan!
We went out Sunday afternoon and he stopped at a area that was mostly soccer/baseball field.  It was a good place to have a stroll so that is what we did.
Now I know this isn’t the intensity I would get if I went on my regular short runs but it’s really a whole lot more since I haven’t been doing that. Something is more than nothing, right? And I think that having someone else there to get me going was what both of us, not just me, might have needed. (I can dream, can’t I)?
So we started out and walked the length of the field and turned. We came upon an entrance to an area under construction that ran along a small creek.
It had the open weave orange construction tape on either side but it was obviously a walkway the city was working on. I approached it rather eagerly. Wow! Unknown territory! I was going for it. Then Jay said, “Wait!”
Sure enough, the no unauthorized personnel sign he was pointing to at my feet had been knocked down. I stared at it for a moment and turned to Jay. “It’s Sunday afternoon. No one is here working on it today.”
“So you want to be bad?”
“Yeah,” I said. Like Duh!
“Okay,” he said. “But if we get caught I’m going to say you made me do it.”
I chuckled. “Right, like I twisted your arm.”
We walked the entire section and it is almost complete from what I could see. The other entrance still needs some work but it was a very nice (albeit short) hike. We didn’t get caught but the idea of “being bad” might have burned a few more calories for Jay. It might have burned a few more for me when Jay tried (twice) to pull up a tree seedling he seemed obsessed with bringing home. I told him there was no way he could pull it up and we didn’t need a tree at home but he tried just the same. Maybe that is why they want to restrict who walks there.
So at the end of the day we actually had gotten started on taking actions on a few things we had been thinking about but hadn’t done yet.
When I got home from work Monday afternoon (Jay is off on Mondays) he was ready and waiting to take another walk! Two days down already!
I can’t wait for a third!  (I can dream, can't I)?
TT

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment at any time! TT