Thursday, May 26, 2011

Corner store

It can get hard when I feel as if I've reached a time that I need to search for inspiration.  It isn't a bad thing but it is one of those things that I know I want, I don't mind trying to find it, but it's not something I can go to the corner store and pick up.
I am a creature of routine.  I get up early, I have coffee, I go to work, I come home, I read, I go to bed early so I can get up early the next morning.  That is what I do and it's comfortable.  The problem is getting too comfortable and being too routine doesn't lead to inspiration.  I can only get so much inspiration from my own head and I think that is a pit I have fallen into lately (or it's just a pitfall).  I need to get out and change things, even if only slightly, to give myself an opportunity for new inspiration.  I need to change up the routine or deviate slightly so I can see some new things or some old things again in a new way.
I know it wouldn't take much since I've always managed to have a different slant on most things than others would.  I don't have any problems in the imagination department.  If you give me a scenario I can probably come up with three or four different variations on why it happened and which way it could go.  The problem lately is that it has just gotten hard to come up with the scenarios.
So, I don't know, maybe that could be the scenario...she was just going to make a quick stop at the corner store...
...
She was just going to make a quick stop at the corner store.  She knew she was running late but thought the few minutes stopping to get a coffee would be worth the extra time in the long run.  She needed the caffeine.  She had been working late hours and was having a hard time getting a clear head.  She knew the jolt would put her back on track and things would move along more smoothly if she could just get a cup of coffee.
She circled the parking lot and had to pull into the last slot farthest from the door.  She stopped the car and reached across to pull her purse off the passenger's seat.  She leaned back in the other direction, pushed open the door and was nearly choked by the shoulder strap of her safety belt.  She kept her head down and unsnapped it quickly and got out of the car.  She didn't think anyone had seen her try to strangle herself so she made her way to the store.  A young man in jeans and an oversized tee shirt propped the door open for her as he held two plastic bags of purchased items while making his way out.  She didn't realize he had already moved away and let go of the door until it nearly hit her in the back.  She was able to avoid impact by hopping forward on both feet just as she made it inside the store and it slammed shut.
She recovered quickly and made her way directly to the coffee counter.  The scent filled her with anticipation and she didn't notice the line of people ahead of her until she practically stumbled over a short woman that glared at her as she went to pull a cup from the dispenser.
...
No.  I didn't go to the corner store.  I sat right here and the above came out.  I could go on but I don't think I am having problems in the imagination department.  And actually, yes, I guess I can get some inspiration at the corner store.  It is just a matter of keeping my eyes open to the possibilities. 
TT 

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment at any time! TT