Saturday, May 28, 2011

Scenario: Encounter with a stranger

Here is another impromtu write up of another scenario.  What if there is a chance encounter between two strangers?  Okay, there is the idea - where do I take it?  Where are these people and who do they encounter?  Male meets female, other way around, or what if...
---
  Both women reached for the dress hanger at the same time. Neither had noticed the other beforehand and both flinchingly pulled their hands away as they realized their fists might collide. The surprise and polite smiles registered on both faces. "Sorry - you go ahead," they both spoke over each other. Sandy looked down with a smile of embarrassment as Tracie watched.
They were both blond, about the same height and definitely the same size. Sandy finally looked up and offered the dress to Tracie. "You go ahead," she said shyly. I can look around for something else.
"I appreciate that," replied Tracie. "I have a special date tonight and I think this would be perfect. New guy," Tracie winked. Tracie took the hanger and held the dress up against her body looking down at it and then up at Sandy. "What do you think? She asked.
Sandy looked back and nodded, "Nice." Tracie looked down again and went on excitedly, "Our third date and is he very dreamy." Tracie folded the dress over her arm and kept talking. Sandy politely stood and listened. "I mean, this is going somewhere tonight, you know what I mean?"
Sandy just politely nodded. It was more information than she was expecting from a stranger but she didn't want to be rude. How much longer could she go on anyway?
Tracie then put her hand on Sandy's shoulder and almost held her captive. "I couldn't believe when he asked me out to that new restaurant, the fancy French one that just opened."
"The Martinique?" Sandy suggested.
Tracie's eyes went wide and almost squealed, "That's it! Have you been there?"
"Um, yes. It's very good. I went there with my boyfriend."
"Oh, he must have the same good taste as my guy. He said he had been there once before and it was spectacular."
"It was very good," Sandy agreed.
"So you must be going somewhere great." She lifted the dress slightly. "You were picking the same dress right?"
Sandy sighed and thought a moment. In an instant she thought it couldn't hurt to admit it to a stranger. "Well, things have been a little off with us lately. I thought if I found  something new and suggested we go somewhere nice it would help. I have to say John is pretty dreamy too. He was always taking me out but, like I said, things seem a little off lately."
"John? Your guy is John? Mine, too. How about that."
Sandy tried to let the thought pass through her mind but it was sticking. She moved her head to one side and asked, "You’re going out tonight?"  Sandy thought of her John saying he had some late work to finish tonight and was really tired.
"Yes. He's been really busy but called me up last minute for tonight."
Sandy nodded. "Do you mind if I ask what he looks like?"
"Not at all! He is so good looking. He has dark hair, these smoky gray eyes and tall. He said he works as an Insurance adjuster and poor guy - he just broke up with some girl. He was really upset about it. She seemed really needy and clingy. I think he said her name was Stacy or something like that."
"Oh. Stacy. Do you think it might have been...? Oh never mind."
Tracie folded both arms over the dress and bent forward toward Sandy. "What. What were you going to ask?"
"Nothing. It's crazy. My boyfriend works as an adjuster but you said he had an ex-girlfriend named Stacy."
Tracie stopped and stared off in space for a while then looked at Sandy. "I think he told me Stacy but maybe it wasn't. Maybe it was Shirley or," she was in mid thought when Sandy said.
"Could it have been Sandy?"
"That's it! Sandy. I remember now."
They stood looking at each other for a brief moment before one woman held her hand out to the other.
"Hi. Let me introduce myself. My name is Sandy."


TT            

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment at any time! TT