Saturday, May 7, 2011

Cookie obsessed


I had cookie flavor ideas on the brain most of Friday.  I kept thinking of different combinations I wanted to try.  I went out after work looking for specific ingredients I thought I might be able to use.  I couldn't stop thinking and re-thinking about cookies.
Then Saturday came and I started baking.
I ended up making seven different types of cookies.  I had made the Turtle cookies before although they are pretty much known as half-baked.  The reason for that is I had to make several batches of these before they produced a cookie anywhere near the turtle candy I was going for.  It turns out I need to add the caramel after the cookie is half way through it's baking time or it turns too brittle.

I've made the PC cookies before...Pistachio Cranberry.  They make a nice tangy, salty combination and looks very holiday with their natural colors of red and green. Those were the only two I have actually made before.
I thought coffee hazelnut had to be a good combination in a chocolate cookie dough.  I actually wanted to add chocolate covered coffee beans in it but couldn't find them.  (Yes, I went to two different Starbucks to no avail).  I ended up using some instant expresso powder.  Maybe too much...not for me...I love coffee.  I just can't tell yet.



 Chocolate Cherry is a basic chocolate cookie with chopped marachino cherries and bittersweet chocolate chips.  It was a play on a chocolate covered cherry taste but in a regular cookie.  But then I tried again with a white cookie and whole marachino cherries instead of chopped that I cooked in a cherry juice DiSaronno reduction.  I put one cherry and some semi-sweet chips inside the cookie dough.  I will need to test these again to get the right baked shape.  They spread too much for my liking.  I am thinking I need to use a rolled cookie dough instead.

Then I went on to Rum Glazed Walnut cookies.  I am not sure why I was raiding the liquor cabinet!  I sauteed the walnuts in sugar and rum and then added them to a white cookie dough.  And yes, I added some run to the cookie dough, too.  Why not? 
So then I went for my seventh cookie.  I don't know.  I think I should have left it at six types of cookies.  But I decided to try one more...a margarita cookie.  I added lime zest, some extra salt and tequila into this cookie.  I rolled it out and now I wish I had made the circle smaller and baked a small slit half way through so it could sit on a shot glass.  Whew!  This is one odd cookie!  I get the salt straight up.  Then the lime kicks in and afterward I get the tequila.  Or maybe it's my imagination after tasting too many different flavors most of the day and fudging around in the kitchen.
Hmmm...fudging. Fudge.  NO!  No more baking right now or ideas about baking!  I need to make dinner now.  Let me see...chicken with fresh mushrooms.  I could do a cream sauce with some potatoes.  I think I have some greens I could cook down with bacon...
Hey, see you later.  I think I'm going to fire up the stove right now.
TT

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment at any time! TT