Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Window gazing

I'm seated with my laptop at my desk facing out the front of the house.  I am peering over the top of the screen to search the darkness outside and there isn't a movement to be seen.  There is even little to be heard.
You wouldn't believe it but I've actually opened the window a good 6 inches and have a better view of the street directly across from me where the street light is still on and highlighting that circle of the road. 
An occasional car drives by and splashes more into view and then it fades away as they pass.  I keep expecting to see a runner come along the way.  It's perfect for it.  I've seen it before.  I've done it before.
When did the middle of the week get so good?
Quiet, calm, nice enough to open a window before heading out to my regular routine.  Then the thought of finishing off that work-a-day and coming back here to this spot to peer over the top of my laptop screen to see the same view again in a different light.  Bright, active, filled with afternoon school buses and neighbors coming home.  The window will be open more than a few 6 inches and the sheer drapes will be pulled aside.  I will watch the runners move by from my second floor view.  I will be silently urging them on because I will have already woven my way through the same streets.
I will take this quiet, calming view that I see now and picture the thought of coming back and seeing myself as that runner coming along the way.
You wouldn't think sitting still, gazing out a dark morning window could be motivating.  It can be.

Oh...remind me to close this window before I leave.
TT

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment at any time! TT