Thursday, February 10, 2011

No Uncle Orson

I received an e-mail inviting me to register for a writing seminar in August.  I am not sure how I got on their mailing list since it seems I usually only get a lot of health related emails (since I'm old I guess) so it surprised me that I received one for writing.  It was for Uncle Orson's Literary Boot Camp and Writing Class in Greensboro, North Carolina.  Uncle Orson is Orson Scott Card.  I'm looking over the e-mail trying to shut my mouth.  Well, of course, I've read Orson Scott Card's Sci-Fi books...Ender..Yes! That series of scrumptious entertainment!  And he would be facilitating the writing courses.
Of course, I'm not going to North Carolina to do this.  It was just a thrill to see it there in my own personal in-box.  It would be nerve-wracking for me to do something like that right now...or in August, I think. The boot camp is a 5 day marathon in which you have to submit a full page 250-300 word - beginning to a story.  You need to be selected to participate since the class is limited to 14 attendees.  It costs $725.00 and that doesn't include travel, food or hotel.
There is the other two day writing class option for $175.00 open to all (even those who submitted first pages but were not chosen) but again...no accommodations go with that.
It was a thrill to see it there in my in-box but calm down...no.  I might end up getting there and wanting to talk to him about his books instead of trying to write my own. 
Now, wouldn't that turn out to be an expensive interview?
TT

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment at any time! TT