Thursday, February 17, 2011

A typo

I had lost myself reading a thread of comments in a forum about (you guessed it) running.  It had started out with "my run went like this...how was yours".  Each commenter would write about their most recent run.  I wasn't participating and the comments were dated but it was interesting to read how other runs had gone for the people that had put up their comments.  Okay, okay - well, it was interesting to me.
So I had gotten through a few of the posted comments when I got to one where someone had described their run and then at the end put...but it was on the dreadmill.
I stopped and looked again.  I stopped and wondered if it was a typo or if this is what it is commonly called by runners that have a certain distaste for the large cumbersome piece of gym equipment they wouldn't go near if they had any other choice.
I had to stop and think how many times I have called it the dreaded treadmill.  I've done that a lot.  I've done it recently. I hadn't heard it called that before and it seemed just perfect that it would be called a dreadmill.  What a wonderful description and perfect way to  conserve letters and words.  It is the perfect balance of dread and treadmill.  What better way to describe the device that robs you of your natural stride.  Dreadmill.  Perfection.  The perfect word.
Now I didn't see anywhere in all the comments posted anything about inclines.  I was naturally surprised since it is something that I encounter every day in my own neighborhood as I am sure others have also.  I have been known to call the nasty devils dang inclines.  I've done that a lot and I've done it recently. I think since I am willing to thoroughly embrace the use of dreadmill as a new word then I would have no problem with conserving a few more letters and words.  I think I will be using the word danclines to describe my dang inclines from now on.
Admittedly, not as good as dreadmill...but then...maybe that was just a typo.
TT

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment at any time! TT