Sunday, January 29, 2012

Factoring

There isn't anything much better than reaching a goal.  There is something very special in that feeling of capturing an accomplishment and getting it done.  When you start out you put something out there that you think you might have the capacity to do but there is always the knowledge that there might be factors that come into play that might prevent you from getting to that destination.  Sometimes you have no control over those factors and sometimes you break through no matter what.
With only 10 miles left to accomplish my goal of running 75 total miles in January I ran 6 miles yesterday.  That left me with 4 miles to run before the end of this month.  I went to the gym early this morning (no way I was running outside...it was in the upper 30's)! and I was standing at the door while they unlocked it to open.  I was fully determined to knock off my 4 miles and head home since I have all kinds of things going on today.  (I really want to write today but don't know if I'll get the chance - drat those nasty factors coming into play).
I didn't waste any time and was literally off and running.  And I kept running.  And I felt really strong and I kept on. Four miles came and went and I was still hoofing it.  Four and a half, five, six.  Okay, it was seven miles when I finally stopped.
Needless to say, I got my 75 miles in for the month of January.  Actually it's 78 with two days left.  So I'm thinking...wait, shouldn't I leave it alone since I will be trying for another goal in February and it's a shorter month?  But 5 more miles this month would put me at 83 which is about what I would need each month to have 1000 miles by the end of the year.
Dash the thought!  What am I thinking!  I will just say I know it's there but not an absolute...not now, not yet.  There might be too many of those factors that come into play over that extended period of time. 
I will just appreciate that special feeling I have now for reaching my goal.  No need to embellish it at the moment.  It feels good and there's nothing better.
TT

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Driving and pushing straight ahead is one approach, but patient persistence and determination always places the goal in ones hand.

Chetta said...

Great advise! I knew I needed to keep the pushing in check. Patient persistence and determination is definitely the way to go. It doesn't end in January, does it.
TT

Anonymous said...

If it all ends in January, game plan is burn those auxillary thrusters, long haul though..pace it Tessa.

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment at any time! TT