Thursday, March 22, 2012

Smarting

I'm using a loaner phone.  My smart phone blew a fuse, or angst out, or it's head exploded.  Let's just say on Tuesday on the way home from work it was working but when I got home it wasn't.  It did the equivalent of the dreaded PC bluescreen except on the cell phone it was black.  The power button refused to revive it.  It checked out.  There was a lack of communication coming through - smart or otherwise.
I drove to the store and they messed with it and then said they would they would get me another in a few days and gave me a loaner I could use in the meantime.  So, I don't think anyone would know the difference except me between one phone and another but  I had just gotten comfortable with using my own phone.  Now I'm trying to figure out this one.
This loaner phone actually rang yesterday.  I couldn't seem to answer it.  I saw the display.  I saw the number and the call coming in.  I heard it ringing (some strange chime-like sounds) but couldn't figure how to answer.  When your phone rings it should be an easy process to pick it up and say hello.  That isn't necessarily the case.  If the phone has been left for a while it locks so when you go to use it again you need to drag this bar over that appears on the face of the phone to unlock and release.  It really isn't difficult except when you have that panic moment of your loaner phone ringing for the first time and you can't figure out how to answer it.  What if it's the store calling that my own phone is back?  I can't miss that call! So I jab my finger all over the button that says answer and get frustrated that I'm not answering because I haven't dragged the unlock over to the side or up above or round the block like it wants me to.  And all the while the phone is tinkling strange chime sounds, and as much as I hate that sound I want it to keep it up or it means I've lost my call!
Well, I managed to answer it and it wasn't the store calling but some automated insurance company that I could have missed and not been bothered with.  But it gave me a quick education in how to answer the phone.  Let's face it.  It isn't the phones that are smart.  The person using them just has to be.
TT

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment at any time! TT