Sunday, November 28, 2010

Cheaper is better

This is a magnet that found residence on my refrigerator door.  It might have ended up on my bumper but the glorious design and curves of my sports car didn't leave a spot for it to adhere so the fridge was it.  It's a silly souvenir I picked up at the half-marathon expo that jokes about what most people believe about runners.  (You know - the crazy part).
I can't be sure the statement is accurate.  I have never priced therapy.  I have never looked into it or considered it even though there have been times when friends might have suggested it (Gee thanks buds).  I can't see what paying a stranger to hear me talk will accomplish.  If I'm in the middle of something that has been weighing on my mind, spilling it to someone doesn't always work out.  I'd rather not, thank you please.  My friends already think I'm crazy - I don't need to spread it any further.
Running seems to work out.  I never realized when I started this running business the many advantages I would get from taking on his physical mind blower.  I can't think of a better way to describe it.  It is a physical activity that makes you think.
I was not given a natural ability to run.  I didn't even think it was anything I could do.  It has taken a lot of time, patience and stubbornness to get where I am now.  And where am I now?  I am a runner.
I knew from the beginning it held some kind of intrigue for me and that was a long time ago.  It was tough physically and still can be.  My body doesn't want to do this.  It screams and fusses and yells and complains.  It points outs problems as I go along.  Your right foot is going numb, your calf is getting a little stiff, you have a side stitch, this is too far.  It keeps on and on, unrelenting like a child wanting attention. It grabs on to my leg and mewls and crys and hangs on. It will keep it up as long as I let it.  Enough already. What is all the fuss about?!  The foot is fine, I'll work out the stiff calf, breathe deep and the side stitch goes away and it's not too far and I can still get home even if it takes a little longer.  Let go, stop misbehaving and look how great it is out here.
And it really is great.  There are many more times I get an effortless run with solid ease than times when there are uncomfortable problems.  There are times when I run longer than I ever expected.  I get to stay fit, burn calories and relieve a lot of stress.  I get the opportunity to get lost in the pure joy of the experience.
I get to see the things I never would see if I didn't do this.  I wouldn't be able to think about the things that weigh on my mind that I haven't figured out yet if I wasn't doing this.  When else would I allow myself the time to stop and think about it?  I can do it when I am running and I do.  And it's not always heavy thoughts that come to mind but lots of funny thoughts or story thoughts or thoughts of people.  Some buds now think I need therapy because of how much I run.  I understand that the majority will not grasp the total amount of benefit that can be gained from this.  It isn't easy.  It truly is a physical activity that can be extremely mental and I have somehow managed to blow past more mental blocks to reach what seems like astounding physical accomplishments.  It isn't easy.  The mewling and crying can hold you back if you let it.  But I have not allowed it, worked around it and I get it done.  This physical mind blower has proven to me that by working at this I have achieved strength and discipline, along with a sense of accomplishment and self-recognition. 
Hmmm, I can't be sure but isn't that what you pay a therapist to do?
So, I don't really know if running is cheaper.  Maybe I should cross out a few words so it will simply read....Running is therapy.
TT

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment at any time! TT