Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Cookies Saga

It started with an unexpected phone call on my cell phone. 
"Hello."

Just like that.  I was sitting at my desk at work when my cell phone rang.  It was late Thursday morning and I didn't recognize the number displayed.  It was a woman and she wanted to order cookies.  Her company had done some recent business with another located here in my city and wanted to send them a thank you gift. 
I managed the phone call but it might have been better if I hadn't been so stunned by it all.  I am usually pretty cool and collected the few times I have received a call for a cookie order but that has been for orders of 2 or 3 and not the amount that I was about to take on.  She wanted 60 dozen of my assorted cookies.  She requested they be delivered the following Monday and she gave me her credit card.
I had an order.  No.  I had a corporate order for 60 dozen cookies. 
Does one person, owner, bookkeeper, receptionist, webmaster and baker, do this?  Yes?  If it's me and I have the time?  I did.






 When I got over that first initial excitement about the order I got myself in gear.  I spent the weekend in the kitchen (when I wasn't at the store buying ingredients I ran out of like flour and shortening).  I got into a groove which just seems to happen when I know exactly what I'm doing.  I know what I am doing with my cookies.  I came up with the flavor combinations and I know the recipe inside out.  I made batch after batch and then another batch after batch and didn't ever realize the time or any other things going on around me.  I was in the zone.  I was thinking this should be another selling point on my site that these cookies are done in small batches and baked to order.  So while I am the baker I am also my own marketing dept and I need to get ahold of the webmaster to update the site with new text that my writer comes up with. 
So when all that baking was done I needed to package.  I thought about using white bakery boxes but with such short notice the ones I went out to find did not come up to what I wanted to use.  I decided it was best to go with my own traditional packaging of my cello's.  This way the individual cookie flavors could be easily identified.  I had it all completed by 9:00 pm Saturday night. 
Sunday morning I baked a few more.  I had completed my 60 dozen order but Dante had gotten an order for another cello of 5 chocolate cookies.  I baked a batch of 5 chocolate and just because it seemed so easy I baked another of turtle cookies.  Just because. 
When Monday morning rolled around, I was anxious and nervous.  The confident cookie baking part was done but now I had to hand them over and even though I wasn't worried about the delivery itself it was just the entire experience that had finally caught up with me.  This would be the last part and nerves were running high.  I loaded my car, grabbed my chef jacket and took them on over to the location.  I stopped at their front desk, gave the security man the name of the person to contact and he asked me if he needed to sign as he waited for that person to answer her phone.  I told him no and made my way out of their building and back to my real day job.
Needless to say, I was a jittering mess when I got back to my desk at work.  I was back at the spot where it had all began when my cell phone rang.  Quite a bit had happened inbetween.  It was done but I knew I needed a moment to calm down.  And I did.  And now it's done.  And hopefully, they really enjoyed the cookies.
I just love it the most when they really enjoy the cookies. 
TT

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great Job! Professional look and feel cause it's real....they will call again
and again. Tessa the Ultimate Baker.

Chetta said...

WHEW!!!

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment at any time! TT