Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Download stats

I'm not sure you can view this status sheet above very well.  It is the inside, backdoor, dashboard, behind the scenes, information that I can access from the finestories.com website where I have published a few of the shortest works I have written.  These pieces are not even necessarily the best pieces I've written but I got carried away and put a couple out there...well, because I got carried away.
The thing that caught my eye was that I have 500 downloads total for all pieces.  That would be since 7/25/12 when I posted the first chapter of Rules of Writing.  (Then the carried away part kicked in and I posted Room for Cream? and Never Long Enough which I should have realized Never was the key word.  It wasn't a good idea to post that...although it got a few more downloads even if it was a first draft and not re-worked properly and I see where I can fix...typical.  There I go.  Again.  Edit, edit.  I can always make it better...
Then during the middle of last week there was conversation at work about how people were amazed that on the night of Halloween certain stores were making room to put up Christmas trees.  On Halloween night!  It reminded me of the poem I wrote about that...back in 2007!  And I got carried away again and posted it even though I knew I shouldn't.
You see, this writing site seems to be visited mostly by men.  This could be just a prejudice but I looked around at all the authors and well, there aren't many female names out there.  The stories that are downloaded the most and scored the highest are mainly military or fantasy or sci-fi themes.  Not all, but a good majority.  So beware the story that goes up that is 1)short, 2)written by female, 3)not a preferred theme.  So I didn't expect much activity on my stories (flash, shorts...whatever you call them).
And I wasn't expecting much of anything when I posted a Poem!  With a humorous Christmas theme!  But I've gotten 32 downloads since last Thursday...which is 5 days.  And I got feedback from one of those male readers that gave me a big thumbs up on it.  (Who actually takes the time to comment? - But he did)!
I know that number isn't anything for this site where pieces are downloaded by the 1000's and votes come in by the 100's.  But considering another female author has been posting her poems and not had the downloads...but that is beside the point.  It was only about me putting something out there again and not thinking too hard about it.  Besides, that will give me about 30 days before my poem leaves the New Stories category since I don't want to get carried away again and post something else too soon.
One other stat that caught my eye was that 5 days ago there were 430 on my homepage access count and now there is 456.  So somehow that number went up.  And I don't even remember what's on my homepage.  But I don't really want to check since that will add another number to my count.  And what does it matter anyway?  Not sure...will have to think on that one...but later.  It's a nice to know.  And any way you look at it...500 is such a good round number.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment at any time! TT