Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Reset the clock

Reset the clock.  Pull out a clean sheet of paper. 
Now don't waste too much time trying to figure out what to put on it or how long it might take.  It's time to start making it happen by taking it in increments and small steps.  The plan can be overwhelming if you look at what I need to do in the last few weeks.  Sure, that is where I want to be but it takes the weeks now and inbetween to work up to it.  Just look at now, today.  What do I need to do.  Time will take care of itself and move me along the days that will create the weeks that build toward those last few.  Those last few that are impossible now.  But if I look at today?  Easy.  Piece of cake.  Routine.  It's how I get there. 
I looked over my running plans very briefly yesterday.  I have three that I could easily use.  They are all a 16 or 18 week program and they incorporate a five day a week running plan which is what I am going for.  I also set up a 12 week plan on my Nike+ site but that only has three days a week running and is for a half marathon.  Yes.  The other plans are for the full.  I have the plans in place and I know what I should run today.  I'm trying not to scan too far ahead on what I will need to run later - it might scare me away - but really not so much this time, I don't think.
But I mentioned pulling out a clean sheet of paper and isn't the real struggle my writing.  I don't feel I have the same base line foundation for it as my running.  Should I or shouldn't I approach it in that same way.  Daily...five or three days a week...with the only focus on what to do that one day and not trying to take in the entire scope - those scary last few weeks?  It sounds so easy and makes so much sense but why can't I stop looking at those hurdles at the end?  Or are the hurdles I think I see right in front of me now and in the next few days?  Isn't that what is scary?  I might need to figure out what I am so afraid of in order to be able to move around the hurdles.  That might need to be the plan for today.  Give some time to think about what it is that is holding me back and making it scary.  Spend some time on that today and also decide how to constructively approach tomorrow.  Well, okay.  Today.
I'll do that...but after my run.
TT

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment at any time! TT