Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Wasn't flying

Everyone was caught by surprise.  I am not the best person to describe how it all looked when it happened since I was the one providing the bizarre entertainment.  I wasn't going for a prat-fall.  I wasn't trying to add to the scary aspects of Halloween.  I wasn't trying to horrify the poor children huddled around and coming up the drive to collect their required treats.  I wasn't.
Maybe I should have taken the offer of a beer that Sonny had made to me earlier.  It might have smoothed things out for me just a tad.  I didn't take the beer so I can't blame it on having had too much to drink since I had none. 
Jay and I went to Sonny and Selma's house for Halloween night.  We brought dinner and candy to give out at their house.  Somehow after work I realized how exceeding tired I was.  I dashed into the shower as soon as I got home but it didn't take away the pressing sluggishness I felt.  When we got there it was nice.  Quiet at first and then the door started getting familiar knocks on the door and greetings of Trick or Treat.  I stayed mostly inside, sprawled across their large sofa but when Sonny and Selma where more outdoors then in, I went to see.  The crowds and groups along the street had multiplied and it seemed the candy left to give out was dwindling.  I knew there were two small containers more inside so I went to retrieve them.  Going from sluggishly quiet to hurry up and react is never a good combination for me.
Everyone was on the front porch.  Jay and Selma closest to the front door.  Sonny had the bowl of candy giving it out on the beginning of the sidewalk beside the driveway.  I grabbed the small candy containers from inside and made my way to get the candy to Sonny.  I must have been going fast.  I got to the porch inbetween Jay and Selma to make my way to Sonny...but I missed the small step.
I believe what everyone saw was a crazy old woman trying to fly out at the unsuspecting children armed with pails of candy.  They said I came rushing out of nowhere.  I flew out and startled the children so badly they stood shock still and then felt an obligation to re-fill the pails I had been carrying that had spilled around me as I sat on the ground.  Sonny had to tell them it was fine and they didn't need to.  They left and will probably be scarred for life thinking of the crazy, real, old woman that tried to fly on Halloween.
I missed the step.  I lost my balance and my hands were full.  I smacked down on the hard concrete on my knees.  I wasn't trying to fly or scare or stir horror on the most appropriate day for that.  I wasn't.  But I think I did.  It will be just another story for the family books.
The conversations will go...remember that year on Halloween?  You mean the one with the crazy, flying woman?  Mom?
TT

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment at any time! TT