Thursday, November 10, 2011

Don't get jittery

I went straight home after a longish day at work.  My boss, his boss, and even the next higher up - my bosses bosses boss was in town and I needed to be ready and available for them.  It wasn't a big chore.  I've done it before and maybe they feel comfortable coming to me because I don't get nervous or jittery over it.  It could be a tense situation since my boss seems to get nervous and jittery when they are here.  I can't imagine that I am the calming factor in all this but, anyway, it went well even if it was a longish day.
I stepped through my front door after this longish day to find the entire downstairs interior of my house shrouded in plastic.  Both the den and living area had the furniture pushed to the middle of the room and that and all the walls and floor, except the ceiling, where draped and taped in plastic.  Every exposed area was cocooned in plastic.  Oh!
The workers on ladders looked down at me and I could tell they didn't expect me home so soon.  They kept trying to motion me to the kitchen but I didn't want to go to the kitchen and the archway was covered in plastic anyway.  I quickly tried to figure out what I was to do. I knew there was nowhere for me to go so I motioned to the bedroom doorway and asked if they could cut me through.  I would grab my gym bag and escape to the gym for the rest of the afternoon to leave them and my shrink wrapped home to the business at hand.  A short workout later I arrived back home and they were putting their tools away and shutting down for the night.  As I entered the house again the furniture was still in the middle of the rooms but all the plastic sheeting was removed and everything was fairly clean.  I was able to maneuver in my own home again.  It was as back to normal as it would get until this job is complete.  And I have to say it is going faster than I would have thought.
We are having all the awful popcorn texture removed from the ceilings of the house.  They started Monday and the upstairs and now the two largest rooms downstairs are complete.  The downstairs master bedroom is left and the kitchen needs to be completed.  (The downstairs bathroom had been done previously).  The entire upstairs has been re-painted, along with the walls around the staircase.  All of downstairs will also be repainted and I believe they might actually paint the two large rooms downstairs today.  It is going much faster than I anticipated.  They might be close to finishing by the end of this week.  I'll have the entire interior of the house clean and refreshed.
Only two of the bosses remain today at work - my boss and his bosses boss.  I've already filled their calendars with meetings all day so I might only have random chores to perform.  I've already packed my gym bag to head out directly after work to give my team of workers a chance to finish before I arrive home.  And when I do?  I might enter into a freshly painted area - without me having to do a thing more than stay out of the way.
How is that for a calming factor?
TT

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment at any time! TT