Monday, November 28, 2011

Day delay

I have one day left of reprieve. It seems a little funny for me to look at this last bit of home renovation in that way. To look at it as a reprieve, a delay in punishment, a relief or deliverance for a time. I shouldn't think of it that way but I can't help it.
We have done some things to the house that we have talked about and talked about some more and for some reason, this time, it all seemed to fall into place to actually get it done. A quick list would be to mention, we had all the popcorn texture removed from all the ceilings of our two story house. We had the entire interior of the house re-painted. We had the staircase railing sanded and stained. We re-carpeted the upstairs bedrooms, staircase and downstairs master bedroom with some high quality plush stuff that is heavenly under my bare feet. We replaced light fixtures and installed new 2" blinds throughout downstairs. We trashed our ancient and crumbling kitchen cabinets with new and clean ones that gave me one extra bit of counter space that actually opened up the kitchen visually. We replaced two bedroom doors upstairs. I'm sure there are other small odds and ends I haven't mentioned. One of the best parts was although this work caused such mess and displacement of everything, I was able to get the house in a clean, comfortable place to be for the Thanksgiving holiday. (Oh, yes...we also gave away a bit of furniture and moved a few other pieces). I've had this wonderful weekend of being able to enjoy all the things that were completed. I've been able to appreciate and sit in a few rooms I wouldn't normally spend so much time in. It's funny how it worked out that way.
Now I have one more day to enjoy this place we have upgraded and made better. One more day of reprieve and I now am acting like something terrible will happen starting tomorrow when it's just another addition to how much better it will be afterward. Our downstairs tile begins installation tomorrow, Tuesday. We will have all the downstairs living room, bathroom and kitchen done and all floor moldings replaced. I don't know how long it will take but I am happy I won't be coming home today to face whatever I might once the work begins. This is the hard part and it doesn't make it any easier to know that things will be in total disarray for a while again. Then, later, whenever it is finished, I will have this completion of major work that I know will be wonderful. It's just the next few days. It's tough knowing I will have a tough few more days coming home when I've started to get used to the calm in-between.
Ah well. At least I still have one day left of this reprieve.
TT

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment at any time! TT