Friday, August 7, 2009

Starting steady

I am feeling much better about the fact that I have been able to carve some time every day to spend on writing. I have been able to sit down and write and I am finding that I am looking forward to that time. Not only am I writing more consistently but I am finding I have a better feel for what might work. I was working on a draft I had put together yesterday. I am still not sure it will ever flesh out into anything. I still have hopes for it but if I can't somehow, someway get it all connected I know no matter how much I like it; it just won't work. It won't do. It can be a tough thing sometimes.

I know that sounds really out there. I think this is just part of the learning process I am going through. It feels really good to be able to have an idea, draft it, edit it, and still know that it needs more work. How do I know? I think it's by following that rule of writing I fought so hard at the beginning. You have to write. You have to do it consistently. It seems to come by doing. The great part is I want to be more consistent. And I am beginning to know a little better. It helps to get some kind of response but I can’t always relay on that. It has been more of a feel. I can tell sometimes just by the order in which the words present themselves to me across the page. Sometimes it’s the way they flow out and look back at me. Sometimes they look back with a whole lot of attitude. Like, “Right, yeah…now whatta ‘ya gonna do with us?” Such bad children sometimes. Shake your head at them and don’t let them frustrated you. It's kind of like that with the draft I was working on yesterday.

I am still looking forward to going back to it and working on it. That thing it needs is still there somewhere. I need to go back and find it. I need to spend more time with it and put it into better focus. I need to take another picture of it and take a better look at what really catches my eye when I look at it. I have come a-ways, haven’t I. A-ways?

I am just getting started.

TT

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment at any time! TT