Saturday, August 15, 2009

Give curve a new meaning

Can we talk a while about health? To be more specific, can we talk about my health? Okay, wait...maybe it's not health I want to talk about but more about fitness. My health is fine. I just had another round of doctor visits and it went very well. Okay, okay...I still have to see my regular doctor and get some blood work done - just yearly stuff. But health wise, I'm fine. What I want to say is something about my fitness. Or my fitness level at the moment. Or what seems to be my lack of fitness level at the moment.

I have been trying to get back into the swing of things. I sat around for weeks at a time writing instead of working out. Well, the writing is somehow getting done so now I need to work the exercise back into the mix. I actually ran 4 miles on Wednesday when I was still off from work this past week. I ran another 3 miles early this morning. I did a Zumba class on Thursday after work. It sounds like things are going fine. But the runs haven't been up to standard. During the 4 mile run I had to stop at least twice and walk for at least a half mile. Then today during my 3 mile run I had to walk again. I should be able to push these runs! I've done them before! RAN all the way...no walking allowed!

I need to get back into this. And then I know I have put on some weight. I can tell. It seems like I’m making it up but I’m not. Even when the doctor showed me the record that I hadn't gained any weight and he asked how I stayed so slim. What does he know? He hasn’t seen me in six months. So that means it's just all turning into flab. I mentioned the weight thing to Jay and he tried to say I looked just fine, if anything, I got some curve back.

Curve?!? And that means...?!?!? Look it up in the dictionary and I believe you will see that the word curve is now defined as the currently politically correct way to say your thighs are getting heavy. Or whatever problem body part it may apply to. I mentioned Jay's curve remark to my friend at lunch today. She thought that was pretty accurate, she liked his response. She tried to back him up by saying that match.com asks about your body type and gives you choices like thin, a few pounds more than normal, athletic, curvy...I can't remember all the rest. She said she would pick curvy over a few pound over normal. (She thinks she's a few pound over but she is just fine). She thought it just sounded better.

But there you go! You can hide behind the word but it still means you got too much somewhere. At least to me. I tried to think which I would pick (yeah, right...like I'd ever do match.com). I was vain enough to ask her what she thought I should list myself as since I didn't have a clue which to pick. Her thought was I should pick athletic. Hmmm, really? Can really short people be classified as athletic? I'm not so sure but it was interesting. I could do athletic (if I ever got back into shape)!

So I need to get a little leaner. I need to start putting in some miles like I used to. I need to find a couple of 5K's to sign up for and give me something to work towards. It's worked for me before and now is the time. Is there such a thing as hard body curvy?

I wouldn't mind that so much.

TT

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment at any time! TT