Thursday, August 13, 2009

Different path

I had Dante read my post Sunday Breakfast from July 26. I must explain that he is not a reader. By that I mean he isn’t one to pick up a book and just read for the enjoyment of it. He is more the kind that would much rather watch the movie. But the post was short and he didn’t have a problem reading it.

I explained to him that when I had the idea to write the piece, the main subject actually centered on a conversation about salt shakers. I explained that when I went to write the idea up, it instead wove itself into the story as it appears on the post about lyrics to a song. He was a little intrigued by that. He thought it interesting that both versions were equally true but somehow changed as I was writing. He thought it interesting that the idea almost had a power to guide my pen in another direction than what my mind had originally thought to take.

He read the post and afterward he was laughing and said, “That was really funny.” I didn’t need to hear him say that. The happy creases and lines that appeared on his young face was all I needed to know the piece had worked. It was confirmation to me that the feel of it was accurate. I had been right to go with this other idea and follow my instinct to see where it might go.

It was proof again for me to believe in that snapshot of my idea. It is that picture in my head of what I think the main subject is, but it might not be what catches my eye once I see the picture as a whole. I need to be open to keep trusting that instinct to take another route when it presents itself at times.

It is nice to be able to have that, dare I say, confidence. It is building but so, so very slowly. I am letting it lead me more often and finding it easier when I do. Besides, if I go down the wrong path, can you imagine what a great story that might turn into?

TT

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment at any time! TT