Monday, August 3, 2009

Good medicine

I took the entire day off yesterday. I had been thinking it was going to be a great day to be able to sit quietly and spend a few hours writing. I had been off from work and almost all of my regular chores were completed so I knew I would have the time.

I started the day with my coffee (of course) and then went out in the neighborhood for a 4 mile run. I have to let you know I have been holding out on the information that I have been running again lately. Somehow I have actually found time and energy to get some miles in and still write during the recent past weeks. I have wanted to run more outdoors but the temperatures have been too high. Yesterday morning when I decided to go out it was early enough for me to run outside before it was smolderingly hot and the run proved to be the medicine I needed. I took it fairly slow and easy and it just felt good. It felt really good.

A shower, breakfast and a quick trip to the grocery store took care of the last few pending things I needed to get done. It was now the time I had been thinking I would use to sit and write.

Well...I wished I could say I wrote but I didn't. It was one of those times when the circumstances were right but I knew my head wasn't into it. I thought about it briefly but I knew it would be better to let it go for the day. I felt I needed the time to take a break. I needed to not think about the ideas and the scenes and the planning that have been going through my mind lately. I knew somehow that by not working on it I could come back to it with renewed energy and not feel forced. It wasn't really all that big a stretch since I had been away from work and that proved to be a good thing. So by not spending the time writing I felt like I had accomplished more than if I had spent the time pushing too hard.

I did take some time at the very end of the evening to handwrite these ideas down. I took it slow and easy and it just felt good. I feel like I accomplished quite a bit yesterday by taking it slow and easy - with my run and my writing.

It felt really good.

TT

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment at any time! TT