Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Tap or Tango

I have to tell you, I was so inspired by some of the dance pieces from the show I previously mentioned in my post Addiction in Dance that I cued up another piece. I dragged Jay in and had him watch this oh so gorgeous Argentine Tango. He watched quietly and when it was over I asked excitedly, "What did you think?"
"It was good."
"It was, wasn't it! Do you think we could learn to dance a tango?"
"I can't do that."
"Well, not exactly like that, I said pointing to the television set, but learn a tango together."
He scowled. "I'm not in shape for that. I couldn't do that."
"Don't you think it would be fun to take a dance class together?"
"Yeah, I guess. But I've always been interested in tap dancing. If I was going to take a class, it would be tap."
Pause.

I don't remember how long I paused. I tried to hold my face as still and without reaction while my mind searched and my eyes took in Jay standing there. Let me see, let me see....tap dancers: Gene Kelly, Gregory Hines, Donald O'Connor, Shirley Temple. Nope. I don't see a single resemblance to any of these dancers to Jay. Far from it. Far, far, far from it. But wait. He seems serious. I might need to take what I can get.

"I could do tap, I replied. It's never exactly been very high on my dancing priority list but if we could take some classes together it might be fun. Do you think you can find a beginners class for a couple our age? (gads! what a thought!)
"Sure, oh course - there are classes."

I had no idea. I had no idea there were classes available for tap, but according to Jay's brief search on the Internet he found a couple of local studios that offered it. He was going to check into it. He is going to see if the studios would be able to accommodating our age and situation. Yeah, I'm not sure what the situation is except that I’ve landed myself into this one. If he doesn't think he's fit enough for a tango how will he keep up with tap? I was looking for a sleek sexy partnered dance and I might be hopping around with brand new ribbons on a pair of tap shoes. I thought the idea of doing the partner dance was something he would have really gone for. Ah well. He probably won’t even follow up on it. I don't know that he will remember we talked about it and actually get classes set up.

I really don't want to discourage him and tap could prove to be fun. I just can't seem to get the picture out of my head as we head out to a tap class and me calling back to him, "Hey Shirley, grab your tap shoes."

Oh, come on. I'm not that bad. He would deserve it for thinking I fell for the idea of him doing a dance class of any kind with me. He's such a master of misdirection.

TT

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment at any time! TT