Wednesday, July 29, 2009

100 posts

Today, I have reached 100 posts to this blog. I have to say that it is something of a milestone for me. When I started this I knew I wanted to find a way to get myself to sit down, find the time and write a little. I wasn’t sure what I was going to write about. I didn’t have any definite expectations or concrete ideas. What I knew was that if I made myself responsible for posting something I’ve written, I would feel the need to accomplish that responsibility. I was using the blog as a tool to write because I knew if I committed myself to do it I would. I’ve always said I didn’t mind who read it, and I don’t (even the insanity), so it was more of a way for me to trick myself into doing something in a small way to get started on something I have been very much wanting to do.

Now I have reached 100 posts. It was a couple of weeks ago that I realized I had been churning out daily posts and the numbers were racking up. I also realized that it wasn’t just quantity but these more recent posts were of a slightly better quality than some of the older, quick; write something down posts from early on. I still need to work on trying to get a better perspective on myself and this particular thing I love to do. I’m working on trying to learn more about it and I’ve found that the rule of writing is actually correct. Write. It has to start that way. It seems like such a simple thing to do but I know how hard it can be. I know personally how hard I can make it for myself.

When I realized I would be hitting this milestone I was excited and mentioned it to Jay and the boys. I told them I had this idea that I should bake and decorate a cake and even post a picture of it on the blog. It was to be some sort of celebration. Jay thought the entire decorated cake idea was a little over the top, a little silly. He thought and even asked me, “for 100 posts? Maybe for 500 posts - 100 posts is more like a cupcake.”

A cupcake? Wow, thank you. You have to grin at that but then I’m thinking – 500 posts – I’ll never make it to the cake! But, of course, by then the boys caught the drift and they thought the cake was a little much, too, although they did like the idea of posting more pictures. I tried to make a point of it being a milestone for me...100 posts...and I haven't torn the site down yet! Well then…What about a cookie?

They agreed a cookie would be good or maybe a Klondike bar. What? Where did that come from? But I know they continued to poke at me because they could get a rise from me. They know when it's something important to me they can get me riled a bit. They know my voice will get higher and I’ll argue a point to the death. They will take sideways glances at each other and invisibly nod to each other when they know they got me. They will continue until they know I have worked myself into a little frenzy. They will do this to prove I’ve gotten myself worked into this state over a cake or a cookie and realize how silly it all is. We all understand that it's not the accomplishment they are ribbing me about. I also know I will have to sit calmly and stop talking in order to make them quit.

So cake is out for my milestone of 100 posts. They are not much for sweets anyway. They didn’t discount the work I’ve done or the difficulty it was for me to get here. They don’t always understand the fuss I make for things sometimes but they have read the posts and that, to me, is better than cake.

I am amazed at myself for reaching this point. I really am. Besides, I thought of a better way to celebrate my reaching 100 posts.




I don't think it would be too silly or over the top to celebrate my accomplishment this way instead. I think they would agree and raise a glass.

Saluto

TT

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment at any time! TT