Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Write on!

I did something yesterday that I haven't done in a long while.  I can't say what provoked me to take that direction.  Maybe it was all the endorphins surging through me in the past two days from my activity this past Sunday.  Maybe it was that constant wide-eyed, energetic swelling of accomplishment that drove me to try to settle myself by sitting calmly to try to find some focus.
I am grinning when I think that focus came back around to writing.  Ah, yes.  I seem to be making circles of the things that keep me propelled and moving forward.  Large circles, small circles, circles inside circles,  but all circles that seem to come back together.
I went into the button at the top of my blog called Favorite Posts and read back to myself the three bits of fiction I wrote called the Rules of Writing.  Interesting.
It must be some genetic code I was born with to find these ways and outlets to drive myself and trick myself and push myself to get going.  I am not sure if others use these self-tricks to get themselves motivated or to get over blocks or humps or stumbles along the way.  It doesn't really matter if others do or don't.  I seem to have the oddest methods to propell myself when I get to a stopping point; when I don't know how to move myself forward again.  They seem to manifest themselves in the oddest forms for me.
I wrote these three pieces at different times when I was having an internal struggle with some points in my writing.  I did what I thought would help me creatively while still making it an exercise.  It was also a way to try to clear my mind of things I might have already known but wouldn't let myself get past.  What better way to give myself permission to proceed than to create a character I ran to in order to ask questions I already knew the answer to but wouldn't allow myself to accept?  Interesting.
I read the three pieces one after another and realized as bits of fiction they aren't too bad.  They are even fairly good.  I had no reason to question why I had put them at the top of the list of Favorite Posts.
I don't always have the same results when I go back and read things I have written from a while back.  I have destroyed entire pages and once an entire blog by doing that.  But not this time.  Not at this reading.
Maybe it was just all the endorphins.  Maybe.  Or maybe I might be getting a better feel for all this writing no matter what self-tricks and methods I use to get there.
TT

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment at any time! TT