Thursday, July 23, 2009

Crazy drivers

Do you know the feeling when you are into your everyday routine and something happens to give you that soft, quick jolt of happy shock? It’s not a big, overwhelming feeling, but just a small bump of happy before you go back to your everyday. Sometimes I wonder if I get more than my fair share of these happy coincidences. I’m not sure about the numbers or what they are supposed to be. Maybe I just acknowledge mine more than most people.

This is how it went for me recently when I got one of these unexpected soft jolts. I had an appointment after work and traveled to the location. The appointment went as scheduled and it wasn’t long before I was on my way home. I was speeding down the highway with the top down when I heard a male voice call out, "Hey, what a great car!" Now I have gotten very good at ignoring call outs about my car, but that day my natural instinct to turn around kicked in before I could stop it. I took a quick glance over to my left where the voice in the car next to me was coming from.

I caught his eye and glanced back to the road to check my speed, check on traffic and by that time I am smiling broadly. I quickly looked over at the other driver, fluffed up my hair and called out, "I just got my hair cut!" He didn't miss a beat before he is flipping his tie up and down, yelling back to me, "I just got off work!" We moved on down the highway and traffic finally kept us from traveling side by side in our respective lanes and saying any more.

I thought the idea of coincidence may not really be that great since I know he travels that way every day about that same time after work. He is pretty much fixed in that he is there every day about that same time. The coincidence to me comes in where I was traveling that way at the same time that particular day and that we would end up side by side during that busy rush time with lanes of traffic.

It was a crazy thing to do speeding down the highway but we were both mindful of the traffic and the exchange was extremely short. But it was there - that soft, quick jolt of happy. How did I forget my usual ability to ignore the comment being thrown out randomly about my car? How could I expect that male voice calling out to me to be any less edgy than my own when I realized at first glance who it was? They say apples don't fall far...It was Dante!

I know, I know…crazy. But no matter the circumstances, this particular coincidence had me smiling for a while.

TT

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment at any time! TT