Saturday, July 11, 2009

Addiction in dance

I was getting ready to meet a friend for lunch and I switched on the TV to catch up on whatever part of the few shows I record. I don't watch much television. Actually I always set the recorded and watch them later (like Saturday before going to lunch). I realized I only had a handful of shows that I watch. The list as it stands right now is a sexy vampire show on HBO, a cooking show, a show about fashion design, and a dance show. I was catching up on the dance show when one of my favorite choreographers, Mia Michaels, had given a couple a dance about addiction.


I have to say I always love the dances this choreographer comes up with. This one was close to home to the young man that had to portray the addiction in the piece. He had lost a close family friend and his emotion during the one minute interview had him in tears thinking how he didn't want to step into that role for the minute and a half the dance would take. He said he didn't want to step into it for two beats.


He did an outstanding job as the addiction and his young blond female partner tried every which way to get him to release her from his grip. He played her like a Puppet Master, posing her, while she jumped, kicked and leaped away from him. He would strong hold her pushing her to the floor, hands on her neck choking, and then covering her mouth. The dance progressed where she was weakened and gets two steps away from him and turns her back. He stands face front with one arm out toward her, not even reaching to her because the smirk on his face told of the confidence that he knew she would be come back.


Talk about a powerful piece, beautifully danced, wonderfully choreographed! Wow. What inspiration.

TT

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment at any time! TT