Friday, May 22, 2009

Opposite ends

I took a vacation day today and slept in just a bit. My regular schedule is off by just a little but it's nice to have the extra day and time. I was looking through the gym class schedules early this morning and was able to find an 8:30 am kickboxing class. I could have waited another hour and taken a zumba class but I haven't been kickboxing in a while and I've always enjoyed it. There is something about the loud music, repetitive boxing strokes, the get down and be allowed to sweat hard with the knowledge of getting an all-over body workout that has always appealed to me. My only mistake was that I usually take these classes after work, not Friday mornings. There is a whole different batch of class members that take an early Friday class then from say an evening or even a late morning Saturday class. The difference is the intensity or for this mornings class I should say, lack of. But that's okay, the instructor only had to remind me twice that they were keeping it low impact. I have a tendency to overachieve and it certainly doesn't stop at work. Is it a good or bad sign if your arm muscle definition is better than the instructors? I don't do any weight training and maybe that's a good thing. My family genetics must be giving me a head start on things like muscle definition and tone. Maybe it was the four brothers I grew up with. I didn't fight with them so much, but I kept up with them. Or I tried to. Is that where that competitive nature people tell me I have comes from? I never thought I was so competitive with others...just mainly myself. I know my brothers didn't bother with me one way or another, but it sure made a big difference to me. That I could keep up with them - and three of them were older.

So, the good part about going to the class today is I found out there is one tomorrow that sounded very interesting. They are calling it extreme combat. Don't worry, they name classes like that at gyms to get your attention or to allow for the ego's of some people who take them. "Yeah, yes...I've been taking the Extreme Combat class over on Prue Road." Then they wait for for the reaction from the person they are talking to which they are hoping will be..."Really? Wow, that's a really hard class isn't it?" their eyes wide in admiration. (I know, not everyone but you know some.) What sounded interesting to me is that these classes are combinations of different martial arts, kickboxing, and street fighting moves. It's probably going to be set to some hard driving music and it becomes choreography for me. What could be better? An all body workout that's almost dancing. The addition is that most of these instructors have martial arts training (which I have none) and that makes it especially new to me...like when they do the afro/brazilian moves in zumba.
A hard driving class sounds like fun to me. I'll check it out and see how it goes. I'll get my workout done tomorrow then possibly have some shopping time. I know, I'm at two different ends of things most of the time. Hard, sweaty workouts then four inch stiletto's and detailed blouses. Give me a break. As the pictures above and below might help prove...I may have had four brothers, but I wasn't one of them...come on.

TT

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment at any time! TT