Sunday, May 3, 2009

D's Bday

It's quiet and I love these times when I can sit. I don't have to rush off first thing. And for some reason it really is quiet this morning. I have a perfect view outside my window upstairs on this worktable with my laptop. There are a few cars going back and forth in the neighborhood but not a lot of activity which is really nice. Nice and calm...see how long it will hold.

Today is my youngest son, Dante's, birthday. He turned 24 today. Twenty-four. He was born on a Friday about noon. I had seen my doctor on that Monday and he told me if I didn't have him before then to check myself into the hospital Friday morning. He was getting too big for me to wait much longer. He was 8 lbs even and 21 inches long and extremely hungry. I had been at my job then for only 6 months - yes - I was 3 months pregnant when I was hired and I did not tell them. In fact, I didn't tell them until the end of January so I was beyond my 90 day probation period for the job. I couldn't have held out much longer than that...was starting to show.

We weren't the best off financially at the time but I was determined my oldest son, Santigo (Sonny) wasn't going to be an only child. I have to admit I didn't discuss it with Jay, I just didn't do anything to stop it. If there had been too much discussion there would have been a million reasons why the timing wasn't good. But I had thought about it. I didn't want an only child and I didn't want too many years separating them. They are 3 1/2 years apart and it seems to have worked well for the two of them. They are just far enough apart to have their own friends and independence but not so far apart that they aren't close. I'm amazed sometimes how close they really are.

So the birthday tradition is they get to pick a meal we cook at home. It's usually a pretty special menu, handpicked and tweeked to fit our likes and tastes. Or - they can pick any resturant for a meal - any restaurant - no matter the cost. It's their birthday! Dante decided we would go out to eat today and he wants Sushi. So that's what we will be doing later this evening. So I have no prep to do today in the kitchen. It makes it really easy and quiet and we will be celebrating together later in the day. I think Dante knew to make it easy - for me - and still pick a meal he really loves (and knows I do, too). But then, that's the kind of man he's turned into. Did you read my post in April, A Penny? That's all Dante.

Quiet is so nice and so powerful.

TT

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment at any time! TT