Thursday, May 21, 2009

Jack & Lucas

Mr. Reacher arrived at my desk yesterday afternoon about the time I was leaving for lunch. I had been notified that he would be coming but not of the time. I was glad to see him but I had to decide if I was going to change my plans. I had my gym bag and was heading to the gym for a 3 mile run during my late lunch. I wavered on spending the time with him instead. As hard as I have been working on staying consistent with my workouts I decided that I would proceed with my original plans. I didn't think he would have arrived until later in the day. I went ahead to the gym and did the three miles I had set out to do.

I got back to my desk in a little over an hour, flushed, and still cooling down even after the brisk rinse off after my work out. He was still there waiting but I had a few hours left in my work day. Somehow I managed to get through my pending assignments for the afternoon and I wrapped the day up at work. I finally had a chance to focus my attention on Jack Reacher but I knew it would only be for a short borrowed amount of time since I had an appointment. It didn't take long for us to re-introduce ourselves to each other again. He didn't hold back on letting me know what had been happening to him. I was mesmorized with what he was telling me and a little startled when I realized I needed to break away to keep my appointment. I didn't want to go just yet. I promised to meet him later at home.

I finished my chores later that evening and got comfortable knowing I would have time to spend with Jack. I helped him out of his jacket and we quickly found the spot we had left off. It was so easy to find the comfortable place with the two of us together. Before I realized, I noticed it had been well over three hours. It was much past my usual time to be awake but every time I thought I needed to let him know we would continue later he would entice me even further. Somehow I just couldn't stop and I let him continue.

My tiredness finally overtook me and I had to say goodnight. He had managed to tell me half of his story and we have arranged to meet again so I can hear the rest. I can't wait and look so forward to it.

I have to admit that Lucas Davenport had arrived two days before much in the same way. I was happy to see Lucas but he knew I was still working my way through some information from a set of twins and I wouldn't be able to give him my immediate attention. I have to admit I stalled overnight on Lucas' information knowing Reacher would be arriving soon. Don't get me wrong, I've spent most of my time with Lucas lately, but I hadn't seen Jack in a long time. Lucas would understand that his arrival would have been better timed if he had waited until I had completed the work with the twins. I have to admit that since Jack doesn't say as much, I've missed him more.
------------------------------------

Now, before you wonder how I could do this, please take a minute to understand. Jack Reacher is a character in a series of books by Lee Child as Lucas Davenport is for John Sanford. I just received the newest hardcover books in these series from a dear friend that knows how much I enjoy them. I was struggling to finish the last two books (my reference to twins) in the Sanford series when the new book arrived. Since I've been playing catch up with the Davenport series and the twins (#17 & #18) are still on my nightstand waiting to be read, I couldn't exactly pick up the newly arrived hardcover (#19) when I received it. Besides, it's true about Jack...there are fewer books in that series and it had been a while since the last one came out.

I couldn't help but try to get you to understand how much I love my books - in my own kinda way.

TT

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment at any time! TT