Saturday, May 23, 2009

Reacher is gone

Mr. Reacher is gone again. He left early yesterday after a brief few minutes to close things up. It was wonderful to have two great evenings together and since I was off work yesterday we were able to get together for the last few (and sometimes the best) moments. He was never one to stay around too long. He can always give you lots of information very quickly but always has a reason for it before it's all done. No guns, so to speak, presented in the first parts of a conversation if not used later for a good reason. You might not even remember it was talked about so early until you realize why it was discussed later on. I'll miss him as I always do. But there was a promise of returning sooner than not this time. I helped him on with his jacket and closed the book for now. I did want to share this piece with you if I may. If I'm not allowed please just tell me and I'll pull it.

"I never say no to a cup of coffee, but I was all done with sitting down, so I agreed to go-cups only. We could sip and talk as we walked. We stopped in at the next Starbucks we saw, which as in most cities was half a block away. I ignored the fancy brews and got a tall house blend, black, no room for cream. My standard order, at Starbucks. A fine bean, in my opinion. Not that I really care. It's all about the caffeine for me, not the taste."

You have to understand - that is also my standard order for coffee at Starbucks. Black, no room for cream...never say no to a cup of coffee. So this is just a lesser, insignificant reason that draws me to Jack. Not the most important reason by any means, but a nice coincidence.

It seemed like such a short visit but so well worth it! I guess to be perfectly honest, I have to admit I went back and spent some time last night with Lucas.

TT
----------------------------------------
Excerpt from Lee Child, Gone Tomorrow, top of page 63-hardcover.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment at any time! TT