Thursday, December 1, 2011

Look at this...look at that

I have come to realize that Jay is an obsessive shopper. Don't get me wrong. He doesn't constantly shop at all times for any given thing. He doesn't buy and have to store items that will never be used. It isn't like that. His problem seems to arise when there is an actual need or want for something that he takes upon himself to find and fulfill. Relentlessly. Until he finds whatever it is that he is looking for. He does this by shopping the Internet. Obsessively. Until he finds whatever he might be looking for. He will do this with every possible waking moment.
I have come to know this is true due to me making a small mistake a few weeks back. When my multitude of home renovations started I mentioned I wanted to make some adjustments to the look of the living room. I had gotten rid of the china cabinet, an ornamental side table (catch all when you come through the front door), gave Selma the rocking chair and moved the accent chair upstairs because it looked better in the feminine french bedroom upstairs (as we have come to call it). I simply stated to Jay that next year I would like to find two conversation chairs with more modern lines that would somehow go with the existing heavily bold-striped sofa I already have. I wouldn't mind replacing the sofa but it is in almost new condition and it might work with the right chairs to bring it up-to-date.  I don't think Jay ever heard the words...next year.
But the obsession didn't present itself to me right away. It started slowly.
We replaced all the blinds downstairs and removed all the drab draperies. This was a major step in cleaning up and starting sleeker lines. I knew we couldn't find proper blinds for the over sized window in the den and as we shopped I realized custom blinds were upwards to $250-$300 dollars for that single window. Jay ordered custom blinds to fit the window perfectly for $121.50 total including shipping...online. We put them up and they look and fit perfectly. He checked prices for the kitchen cabinets online, he priced carpeting, he researched and was looking for a buffet table (? his idea). I knew he was doing these things and they seemed good.
Then he started looking at conversation chairs for the living room. I tried to get him off that tract since I wasn't thinking of buying until next year. He kept at it. Online. He searched and would have me look at this one...look at that one. I told him the chairs were too big. I tried to tell him he had to find something with smaller dimensions. I told him I could not buy chairs from a picture thinking it would stop and deter him. Last Sunday he took me out to furniture stores to view, in person, yes - chairs. I was surprised to find that they don't sell conversation chairs. They have sofa and love seats and over sized chairs. I asked, doesn't anyone sit and talk anymore? I realized they don't. They sit and lounge and eat until they fit into over sized chairs. Boy, am I old-fashioned having a living room that doesn't even contain a television?  Not that I don't have one, it's just that it is in the den with the over sized leather sofa and chair. Hmmm. But then I had a visual of chairs in general and since we didn't find anything I thought that would be the end of it until next year.
He kept searching the Internet when we got back. Look at this...look at that. I finally told him no more. I could not, would not, view any more chairs! 
He came to me later that evening and said, please come look. My eyes are already rolling and he stopped me before I could go any further and said, "I've narrowed it down to three choices." Ah, goodness, what could I do? I picked my top choice and yea, it was his top choice, too. Sleek, modern, neutral color, correct dimensions, great price. Whew!  That's out of the way! An end to the obsessive shopping. You would think that, right?
He then decided we would need a table to go in-between the chairs...look at this...look at that...

I think the shopping might be at an end. Maybe. We have two accent chairs arriving tomorrow, end tables arriving the middle of next week and a buffet table to be delivered Saturday. Jay bought them all. I guess I can't complain but I might have to do something about his shopping obsession.
Yeah.  I need to keep my ideas of getting anything new to myself.
TT

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment at any time! TT