Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Alien ramekins

I don't know if I can do this justice.  I can't say if I will have the capacity to properly capture and relate this blindsidingly ridiculous flight of fancy that was woven.  It might have actually started out being my fault since I was randomly thinking out loud and voiced something that had nothing to do with anything else that was happening at the moment.  But it wasn't me that took it...well, wherever it went.
Jay and I were in the car on Christmas Eve returning to the house after being out.  We talked and then would naturally fall silent the way people do.  My mind must have wandering off on it's own and just about the time we arrived home I believe I said something to the effect of, "I need to get the ramekins out."  It was a disjointed, disembodied thing to say since it was only a reminder to myself that I didn't especially need to vocalize.  Nothing was said in return and we went inside. 
Later that evening Jay asked me what I had said while coming home.  "Nothing."  "Yes, you did," he insisted.  I shrugged, shaking my head, "I don't think so."  I couldn't remember saying anything.  I didn't recall the reminder to myself.  Finally, after much persistence, I realized I had made the comment about the ramekins.
"That was it!" he exclaimed.  "You can't take them out!" 
Now I am puzzled.  I am thinking, yes - I need to take them out so I can make the individual chocolate cakes for tomorrow.  "Why can't I take them out?"  I asked calmly.
Jay started to explain. He said Ramekins were invading from outer space. 
"What?"  Jay has embellished things with his crazy ideas at times before.  He must have liked the way the word sounded and thought ...well...thought it sounded alien.  So I didn't get overly excited about this development with the ramekins.  I just asked a few questions to see where he would take it.
"Yes," he insisted.  They are starting a community here so they will be ready for invasion.  Aren't they like radon?  Or no, they use radon guns and they live in the tall silo-like towers, the white ones that are on the way to Sonny's house.
He was on a roll and I didn't stop him.  I wasn't sure where he might take it but I knew he was committed to the story so I let it go on.  Maybe I shouldn't have encouraged him with my silence.
Finally, after he had gone on for a while, I got up and took the small cup-like container from the cabinet.  I held it in my hand and said, "This is a ramekin."
He looked at what I held in my hand for a moment and said, "That's a funny name for it." 
I took the rest out and thanked him for reminding me to do it.
I didn't hear about the alien ramekins again that night.  The story had played itself out.  Or so I thought.  It was late on Christmas Day when family was gathered around the table and dessert was being served.  The small chocolate cakes appeared on the table and Jay went into the story of the alien ramekins.  Everybody was deadpan and shaking their heads.  Everyone is looking to me while he went on about the white silo-like towers.  The expressions on their faces to me was... Dad is being ridiculous again.  "Eat your cake, Dad."
 
Ahhh.  Family's together during the holidays.  Where else can you cause a flight of fancy with a simple cooking utensil?





TT

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You should get a voice recorder, solid state, to record the next story. Then you cn publish it in its entirety.
MDDLF

Chetta said...

I can see where a recorder might help. The hard part is that I never know when these stories might start! Index cards have helped in the past...but if I get involved...it could go on for days and I have to number the cards!

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment at any time! TT