Thursday, December 1, 2011

Business boost

I've had a surge in my cookie business.  A surge means someone has asked about it.  I have left this venture on hold since I had so many other things going on.  I knew I had my website up and running but it is purely informational at this point.  I have purposely put off tackling any marketing and promotion of it until the first part of next year.  I know there are things I should be doing to get the site more active and widespread but I haven't had the time to sit down and work on my marketing plan.  I made a conscience decision to wait up.
Then I got lucky with a small opportunity.  It turns out someone else was passing out a brochure for cookies where Selma and Sonny work.  They were offering decorated sugar cookies and they were asking $25.00 for 12 cookies.  Selma was appalled (I know because she called and told me the whole story).  Her co-workers mentioned it to her and she mentioned to them that...My mother-in-law sells cookies...here is her website and she doesn't charge $25.00 for a dozen cookies and they taste terrific.  It seems they looked at the site and were interested.  Selma called me about the cookies and I will be making up some samples for her to take to work.  I'm sure I will get a few orders from it.
Then I got a call from yellow pages.com.  They were doing a marketing update and although I am listed, my ranking is low and yes...I let her talk through her entire spiel.  What I realized afterward was how great I felt about the way I was able to respond and let her know, very professionally, my plan was to grow my business slowly at this point, how I am working on my marketing plan, and that I appreciated her contacting me so I could put her on my list of options.  I was very articulate about what I was going to do and she was agreeing with me by the end of our short conversation.  She gave me her name and direct line and said would make a note we had spoken.  She advised me that they were constantly running specials and to ask specifically for what might be available when I call back.  I hung up the phone and thought...wow, who was that talking to that company?  I really sounded like an executive in a large office instead of a home-baker sitting with my shoes off (she didn't know that).
So I've had a surge in my cookie business.
Now if I can only get my kitchen back from under siege!
TT

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment at any time! TT