Saturday, December 17, 2011

Cookie romance

This is how it happened.
Since I created my cookie website and use my cell phone as a contact number I answer it with a Hello or Good Morning and give my name when I don't recognize the caller's number.  This has proven to be a successful way of handling things since I  have had inquires about the cookies.  I had one caller that asked where my bakery was located since she needed cookies by 3:00 that day and wanted to pick them up.  I had to explain that I bake to order and maybe she could please keep me in mind for another date?  I had another client call to follow up on an order to make arrangements for delivery.  Then I had this client.
I answered my phone knowing the area code was not local.  She asked me about the cookies and if I delivered.  I answered positively but I was wary and knew I would have to hear more in order to accommodate.  She explained she was from out of town but wanted to order cookies for her boyfriend that lived here locally.  Oh, I thought, that would work and how interesting.  What was his zip code?  It turned out to be the same as mine so I went on to say it would be no problem at all since she wanted them delivered to him on Saturday morning...early.  I can do that.  She asked if I could include a card?  Of course.  "What did you want on it?"  She said, "On the seventh day of Christmas my true love sent to me..."  "Okay, I said, and how do you want to sign it?"  She said, "don't - he will know who it's from."
I told you it was interesting.
I made the arrangements, took her cookie order and processed her payment.  I told her I would have them delivered 8:00 Saturday morning which is what she wanted me to do.
I got a text from her Friday afternoon with his number and she asked me to text him when the delivery was going out.  That worked out well since I realized he lived very close to me but in a gated community.  I sent him a text before I left the house.  I said, "Morning.  I am in the area with delivery for you from true love.  Directions show gate access req.  Will I be able to deliver in approx 20 mins?"  Ten minutes later I received a response with the gate code.
Off I went...In my silver sportscar and chef jacket.  He happened to be outside retrieving something from his truck when I pulled up.  I got out of the car, handed him the package and wished him a Happy Holiday.  He looked a little surprised.  I got back into the car and left feeling so giddy!  I bake cookies.  Who knew I could get caught up in the middle of this happy little scenario!  Not only did I succcessfully take, bake, and deliver my first order of cookies strictly from the website, but I got this wonderful chance to play a part in a bit of romance during the holidays.  I felt great!  
Afterward I pulled up into my drive at home and I got a text from my client.  She wanted to know if I had been able to make the delivery.  She was obviously curious since she lives so many miles away.  I told her yes, and he looked a little surprised.  She told me this..."Awww, u know, I was in love with him in high school and we started seeing each other after 26 yrs.  Just that I live so far.  Hopefully it will work out for us!  Thanks again."
I wished her all the best.
I couldn't have asked for a better experience.  The cookies have done it again!  They say you have to make yourself vulnerable in order to make a connection.  I sort of put myself out there with this cookie business and being open to what it might bring.  I mean I'm hopping into my car and delivering cookies I've come up with and baked myself.  It's already paid me a huge return and I'm not talking dollars.  Now this isn't fiction.  I'm not making this story up.  It really happened.
Besides, this client, this one that made me so happy...she asked if I mailed cookies.
I answered, "U bet."
TT

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice work! Nice Story! How can someone buy these non fictional cookies?

Chetta said...

What a great day all around! Feel great about the cookies then I get a compliment about the story. Did I say I feel great?! You can check out the cookies at cettacookies.com.
Talk to that lady named Chetta about them. Me and her are extremely close.

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment at any time! TT