Saturday, December 24, 2011

What's the menu?

Amidst all the chaotic confusion of this past week I have somehow managed to get here.  I am right here, Saturday morning, Christmas Eve, already up and out of the house and taken care of three stops and back again.  Now I can have my (well not my first) cup of coffee and I will continued to figure out the next steps.  I think it's been a while since I have had time to sit and prioritize instead of just going and doing with only the slightest impression of a plan somewhere tucked into my subconscious.  It is not the way I usually work but, hey, maybe I should take a lesson since here I am this morning with things getting done. 
But there was one thing I hadn't done, I admit.  I thought about it early yesterday morning.  I realized I needed to come up with a plan of action and I couldn't rely on my usual team of experts for feedback and inspiration.  I was going to have to make an executive (chef) decision.  What were we going to eat for Christmas Dinner?!
I wasn't left completely out in the cold since Sonny had already decided and I had already purchased the Prime Rib Roast. At least I had the centerpiece of the meal to work out from.  Prime Beef and I think and I try to imagine a plate.  Okay, We have this elegant, rich, stab of meat.  Potatoes yes, but I want it to compliment and not compete, so roasted red potatoes-halved-to retain soft center but caramelized outers.  Creamy element...spinach with pecorino romano white sauce to stand up to the beef.  Should have another...asparagus and artichoke hearts in lemon butter.  Maybe another element to play with the tart, tang if you don't want horseradish that traditionally goes with beef.  Start with a spinach salad with bitter curly endive.  Use some blue cheese, candied walnuts and crispy prosciutto to balance the sweet/savory aspects.  That might work. Don't doubt at this point, no time, go with it.  I filled in a grocery list...added some ideas for appetizers...then dessert.  Needed wine and pelligrino, black cherry soda.  I shopped for it all yesterday and here is what I am working toward for tomorrow's Christmas Menu.

Cannellini White Bean dip - hummus style
Black olive and Sun-Dried Tomato Tapenade
Artichoke Pesto on Crustini
Boiled Gulf Shrimp

Fresh Endive, Walnut and Blue-Cheese Salad
Prime Rib Roast
Pecorino-Romano Creamed Spinach
Roasted Red Potatoes
Lemon-Butter Asparagus and Artichoke Hearts
Soft Buttered French Bread

Home-Made Tiramisu
Chocolate Molten Cakes

I may need to make some adjustments as I go along but that will be determined at a later date (like tomorrow).  I can start my prep today and even take care of some entire items to have ready.  I seemed to have kept it fairly simple but it sounds good.  We shall see.
TT  

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment at any time! TT