Monday, November 9, 2009

TV and Books

I have managed recently to pull away from the television long enough to actually read a few books. I don’t actually watch that much television in comparison of some people. I don’t think I do. It seems that way when they are encouraging me to watch this or that show and I can’t seem to think to turn on the set. Then there is the problem of when I do turn it on I can’t seem to find anything on the hundreds of channels that I want to watch at the time I happen to turn it on.
Does everyone agree that that is the way television works or just another thing that I seemed to be bothered by? You have that many channels so nothing will be on when you are ready to watch. I guess that is why you have to be prepared and figure out what you want to watch in advance, search the time, day and channel it will be on, so it can be recorded and you only need to play it whenever you are ready. So much preparation time spent in watching a television show. So does anyone watch television in real time? I don’t know. There is never anything I want to watch when I am ready to watch it.
I’ve manage to read a few books. Not much in comparison (again with the comparisons) but then it is more than I have read in the past few months. I really enjoy my books. There are these new devices that are supposed to be great for readers like me. You’ve heard of Nook and Kindle2? I was made aware of them as they appeared but I will need to spend more research time to see if it’s a bit of technology I might consider.
For me, I am sorry, but there is something about holding that real bound paper in my hand – yes I know they are calling them dead tree. I read a comment made by (excuse me but an idiot) about how using the Nook or Kindle was great but it was diminishing the scores of books for people to see how well read he was. Right, because that’s the reason I read. No!  That is so not the case. I like my paper bound books but I don’t keep them around for people to see. They are sold right back to the bookstore for the quarter or nickel or I give them to someone who wants to read them. So then I wonder about having a device that has a library of books when I don’t have that now, although you can lend books on the nook. Well, as long as the person you are lending to has a similar device or smart phone.
I guess the little research I did wasn’t the best place for these new techie books. I will have to focus on real articles and stay away from the peoples comments I find along the way. I should even wait until 11/30 when Barnes & Noble will have a device in the store I had hold and take a look at.
Somehow, even then I don’t know that I will stray too far from the old fashion real books made of paper I am used to.
But you never know.
TT

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment at any time! TT