Wednesday, November 4, 2009

November oh three

It was total coincidence that I was scrolling through my sent emails yesterday.  I was looking for an address of someone at an outside location that I needed to contact for work.  I came across this poem I had written in 2007 that I had sent to an out-of-town friend of mine.  I will re-post the poem here just for fun. 

T’was the Saturday after Halloween
And I needed to dash
Across the street to the grocers
To exchange food for cash

I left unsuspecting
My simple abode
To make a quick trip
It would be a light load

When just as I entered
The front of the store
I heard the one sound
That’d put an end to this chore

I listened more closely
And yes, could it be
They’re playing Christmas Carols
On November oh three (11/03)!

You’ve got to be kidding
Must be a mistake
What happened to Thanksgiving?
Its 80 degrees, for Christ’s sake

I pulled out my cell phone
But who do I call?
My spouse knows I’m crazy
This will add to it all

So I dialed a quick number
Of a friend I know well
I know she will tell me
I’m going straight to hell

But this is so off
It’s not even funny
It’s amazing the things
Some will do for the money

This isn’t about Christmas,
Religion or sharing
The obvious intent,
Well to me, it was glaring

How dare they play music?
So early in the season
The enormity of their greed
Has got to be the reason

So I left a quick voicemail
Which she may never return
But it calmed me enough
To ease my quick burn

I stormed to the checkout
And made quick of my work
Whoever was responsible
Was certainly a jerk

I had cut my trip short
And maybe more didn’t stay
Because that Christmas season music
Wasn’t playing the next day!

My out-of-town friend had sent me an email back with wonderful compliments that I managed to discount and not remember until I re-read them yesterday. I have no idea why I can't seem to take a compliment. She had certainly given me an extraordinary one.  I mentioned it yesterday to another friend (actually the one that I had left the voicemail for in the poem) and she agreed.  Her actual words were..."yes, you have a hard time with that."
I wonder what piece of me is missing that I can't let myself accept them.
But that aside...I hope you enjoyed the poem.  I do remember it being fun putting it together.

TT

1 comments:

Sean P said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment at any time! TT