Thursday, November 5, 2009

Shhh! listen

I am an extremely good listener. When other people need to talk I seem to have a way to make them feel comfortable and I can really hear what they are saying. You would never know that about me from reading any of these posts. How could you? I am doing all the talking here.
But I am and it is actually my preference to listen to someone else then to keep hearing myself go on and on. I can do that too…the going on and on. Believe me; I can see the eyes glaze over and the need for cracking fingers and necks when I’ve gone too far on asking what I can do better about writing.  But I can’t see that from here and monitoring myself is a tough job when I am here alone.
So the fact that I have talked my head off in this blog and not said a thing can be distressing for me. It seems distressing today and then I’ll get words clogged up in my head again and I will have that need for them to come out and spill across the page. And I’ll accomplish my 500 word average a day and go on from there.
I was trying to get some perspective on my behavior of talking so much about writing by reading some blog posts inside a story publishing web page that were interesting. The majority of writers with recent posts were talking about the difficulties they were having. Most writers were apologizing for not posting by a time frame they had previously promised. Some wrote about unexpected delays that had come up in their personal life to delay a chapter and one wondered if anyone had noticed how they were making everything possessive lately and if they had noticed to let her know. One admitted his surprise to find how difficult it really is to try and get words organized and put something out that has a flow or makes sense. I can totally agree and maybe I need to read more of those posts every now and again. It is good to see how some of the things I am feeling are quite common.
So I guess I stopped going on and on long enough to listen to others going through the same thing. It was good to hear.

Told you I was a good listener.  Now I need to work on the compliments.
TT

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment at any time! TT