Friday, November 6, 2009

No biggie

I wasn’t giving much thought to what people kept on their desks at work. I hadn’t really noticed how much or how little people put out on display. When I took the time to look around I realized there are some individuals that keep their areas stock piled with all kinds of things. There are some that have a multitude of personal paraphernalia. I am not talking about a picture of their kids or family but an entire extravaganza of documented, catalogued vacation trips and souvenirs.
Some keep things that are entirely work-related but have managed to collect every type of office product available and have them on top of their desks. These individuals usually also have more products to staying organized than would be humanly possible to keep up with in order to stay organized. It kind of defeats the purpose. I thought, anyway. Besides, how do you even find anything under all the pictures and souvenirs from vacations past? I don’t know. It’s not my desk.
And no, it isn’t my desk. But what started all of this was someone pointed out things on my desk. Things I had not noticed myself. I don’t keep a lot of anything on my desk. It is pretty bare minimum. I had not consciously noticed the things I have on my desk.
I don’t have pictures of anyone on my desk. The only souvenirs I have are two small items that were brought back to me from other peoples trips and the only office products I have is the usual stapler, hole-punch, and post-it notes.
“Everything you have on your desk is so small!” they pointed out.
They went on to inventory the items laid out in front of me. I use an X61 ThinkPad laptop at work. It has a 9 ½” screen. I do not have a monitor.  I use just the laptop. I had a monitor but I felt like I was at the drive-in movie when I used it so I had them take it away.
I use a pocket size planner.
My iPod is always on my desk.
I use a 5 x 3 spiral memo pad instead of a steno pad.
Then it was pointed out how small I write.
And that I drive a small car.
I don’t know the hidden meanings to any of this. I don’t think I want to dive into the reasons of all the smallness. I am going to take it as just observations. Really, believe me; I am not going to think about what all the small items mean. Don’t think I will dwell on it. I won't.  It's not something I will spend any time on thinking about.  It wasn’t anything I did consciously so it’s no big deal.  No.





But there doesn’t seem to be anything big involved here anywhere, does there?  Alright, maybe I will wonder what that means just a bit.
TT

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment at any time! TT