Saturday, October 17, 2009

Stubborn maybe?

It's Saturday morning and I'm not allowed to run. The weather has finally lent itself to some sunshine for a change and I can't get out there the way I would like. I had to negotiate a bit and the not running was part of it. You see earlier this week when my lab results confirmed I was extremely anemic I was prescribed a mega dose of an iron pill. The doctor handed it to me and I held it in my hand looking at it while telling him I didn’t want it. I had taken these pills before and they are very unkind. I only felt the exact same way about the pills. I decided I was going to hold off from filling the prescription until I got another opinion.

The news wasn’t taken well at home when I said I wasn’t going to take anything until I met with the doctor that had done my surgery last year.
“Why not?”
“Those pills mess me up."
"But you need to take them.”
“I’ve already made an appointment to see the other doctor. It will only be until I get another opinion.”
“Why don’t you get some over the counter iron pills and take those in the meantime?”
“The appointment is next Wednesday afternoon. It isn’t that far away.”
“What would it hurt to take a regular iron pill.”
“Why? It’s not like I only developed anemia the minute they told me. I have obviously had this for a while and I was still doing things without the pills. I will talk to the other doctor about it.  What is a few more days going to hurt.”
“If you are going to be defiant and stubborn, then you absolutely cannot go out and run until you do something about this.”
“I am doing something about this. I am going to talk to the other doctor about what the other options are. If I have to take an iron pill then I am going to find out if there is something else I can take besides this prescription.”
“Okay. But no running.”
“Alright.”
So I can’t run today. I can’t run on this beautiful sunshiny morning that we haven’t had in many weekends. But I know what I’ll hear tonight when it’s found out I mowed the back yard instead. The same back yard where the grass had grown to shin depth since we've had rainy weekends for the last three to four weeks.  The same back yard that I was warned to leave alone just this morning.  It could translate more offensively but I know it will be meant to be interpreted along the lines of the traits of a billy-goat, a mule, or sometimes an ox.
"Aye cabrĂ³na!"
TT

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment at any time! TT