Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Musical words

Listen. Listen. Can you hear? It’s a real musical instrument or maybe I should call it a classical instrument. It’s an instrument that someone has to play. No, I can’t say it like that but it is an instrument that is not computerized, synthesized or digitalized. It is an old fashion instrument that would have been practiced and played before anyone made music with technology. No. I don’t have a problem with that but this is different. Listen. Can you hear it?
The black and white ivories are prompting the strike of the tempered hammers inside an upright piano.  The damper pedal prolongs the blurring of each note, one beginning as the last resonates.  A violin bow moves cautiously up a scale and back again while the cello groans its dark mysterious tones of warning.  The interlude evolves, mixing and mingling, ebbing and flowing until a progressive percussion begins.  The slapping of palms on leather adds a mellow rhythm in place of the assault of sticks on skins.  It crescendos as a duet of acoustic guitars pick out harmonies of the recurring thread of the tune.
Can you hear it? Close your eyes…no, then you can’t read. But listen. It swirls around your legs like wispy smoke rising up and pulls itself tighter around you as it travels upward. Then the vocals melt into the sounds. The deep velvety, chocolate-coated, gravely male voice pours lyrics out slowly. I bet he is tall. The melody is modulating and hypnotic. His lips are ever so close, almost touching the hand-held microphone he grips with long, strong fingers. You can see the strength in his large hands and your eye travels to the dark, body hugging jeans that show a fine
What? Wait. Hold one.
Sorry. I was talking about music. Can I talk about it later? I need to play that song again.

It was way better than I thought.
TT
------------------------------------
The post is over.  This is just a backstage pass if you are interested in the behind the scenes of this particular piece.

This is back and front of original index card with the thought idea.


Here is the typed version of what I thought was the completed post.  I had a nagging feeling I could do better with the middle paragraph.  I printed it and did some re-writing in  longhand that made the final cut.  I've tried to make this as clear as possible but you may need to click into the picture to get an enlarged version to read.
TT

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment at any time! TT