Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Not user error

Technology is a wonderful thing. It really is. Except when it doesn’t quite work the way you think it will or when it seems to behave badly
Case One: iTunes
I had recently avoided a tragedy with losing three quarters of my iTunes music library. A friend was able to restore all my music and I was overjoyed. Yes. That is the correct word. If you know anything about how much I love, depend, and rely on my music you will know that overjoyed is the correct word to describe the feeling I had when it (my music) was all back and restored. So that being said, I was also past ready to get more music. I had three CD’s that I was able to add to my library but I also went out to the iTunes store on line and purchased another.
It turns out I had previously bought a single from the album I had chosen to purchase. Okay, good…that’s fine. I was purchasing the album. I noticed on the left hand side of the purchase screen that the technology recognized that I already had the single and was offering to complete the album and not charge me for the single I already had. Okay, that sounds good. I’ll have the entire album and not have to repurchase the one I had. I saved a buck but it didn’t work the way I thought. It gave me the entire album without the song I already had. It skipped that one song. This might not be a big deal to anyone else (probably not) but me? Are you kidding! I am the person that will find a new author and go back and get the very first book they ever wrote and read them all in order. I don’t skip around.
Now I had an album, not only out of order, but missing the song I liked enough to buy the entire album for! What’s this! I would have paid the buck again to have it all the way it’s supposed to be.
I tried dragging the single into the album, searching ways to combine it. I guess the only way to get it in order is to create a playlist of an album I already have. So then I guess there is a technological solution. I guess that will work.
Case Two: Automatic upgrades
I didn’t really want to get started on this but…oh well. Technology seems to know when to push certain buttons…mine. Like when I finally have my ideas working, the words are flowing on the page, I am in the groove and the laptop tells me it is installing an upgrade now or in 10 minutes – my choice, click here. Nothing like technology adding a little pressure – save, stop now or can I complete this before the 10 minutes? Talk about distraction. Of course, it doesn’t try to do that when I have time, like when I am staring at a blank page not knowing what to put down. Of course not!
But then technology is a wonderful thing.
I just wish it would stop smirking at me from time to time.
TT

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment at any time! TT