Saturday, October 31, 2009

Fainting spell

I haven’t been running. I am not happy or proud to admit that but it is the fact. I normally like to venture out to do my running miles in my neighborhood. Unfortunately, it has been branded into my mind recently that there is a small possibility of me keeling over in a faint literally miles from home. It has made me mildly fearful.
I have only fainted once in my life, with only one other close call that I remember. The instance when I actually fainted was over 30 plus years ago.
I had agreed to go out with a young man I had met and gone out with maybe one or two times before. He picked me up at my apartment and we went for a drink at a club. We sat at our own table for a while and then we decided to go over to the pool tables. I don’t remember much except standing by the tables as they began to get extremely blurry. The next thing I remember is waking up, on the floor, with people all around me and not knowing what had happened. It took me a while to get my bearings but I knew I needed to get up and out of there. Total embarrassment motivated me to move quickly. I didn’t know this guy I had gone out with very well and here I am on the floor in a public place. He got me up and took me outside for some fresh air. I made it to the passenger side of his car where I managed to throw up in the parking lot. Thank goodness it was already dark. But the darkness didn’t stop my embarrassment or mortification. If I had known how to physically disappear I would have done that.  I must have been the epitome of an THE worst date!  I had to marry the guy so I knew he would keep my secret of being weak and sickly.
The second close call came while I was in a packed funeral hall room where I was standing against a wall with others since all the chairs were filled. I had reached almost the end of the service and a relative of the deceased was speaking when a horrible wave came over me. I kept thinking I needed to get out of there but I didn’t want to walk until the relative was finished. I thought as soon as he was done he would leave the podium and I could make my way out. I didn’t hear a word he said as wave after wave kept hitting me. How was I able to keep standing? He finally finished and I made my move. There was a friend (actually a former boss) that must have had their eye on me that took hold of my arm as I moved. She wasn’t much larger than me but grabbed me, took most of my weight and steered me out of the room and outside. I didn’t faint but got a scolding as we sat on the steps outside the funeral home waiting for my head to stop spinning.
So I’ve had enough experiences with fainting to know I don’t know when or if it will hit me. Not that it has anytime recently but I am biding my time until I wrap this situation up where the fainting can be taken out of the equation…in the next couple of weeks.

I really, really don’t want to be surrounded by people while I am trying to figure out why I am napping along the side of the road when I should be running.
TT

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment at any time! TT