Monday, October 5, 2009

Sticking power

It is an anniversary date for me today at the place I work. I’m not big on celebrating anniversaries at work. The reason I bring it up is…I’m not sure the reason I am bringing it up. Really, I’m not sure. That is a plainly honest statement. I guess I should stay factual.

I started working there 11 years ago today. I saw an ad in the newspaper talking about a company that would soon have a campus close to my house. It sounded like a good place to work so I mailed a resume. Yes, I mailed it. I wasn’t working at the time but I also wasn’t supposed to be working and I wasn’t even looking. Well, let me explain.

I had very recently quit a job I had held for 14 years with another big company. I had never really liked the job but at the time I felt it was something I needed to do. I didn’t think I would be able to find anything better or comparable and when things were tough at work, I worked harder and pushed through. I did well but finally got to such a sad, frustrated point with the job that Jay told me to just quit. I remember a lovely Sunday afternoon after spending the weekend at the coast (if you don’t know it’s my personal escape, heaven, paradise – you need to know that now). Even there, the place that normally refreshes me, I had a horrible melt down as we were leaving because I knew I had to go back to work the next morning. Now don’t get me wrong, there weren’t people or persons making it bad for me there. It was the job itself. I went in that next morning and gave two weeks notice. I had no other job lined up and the intention was that I wasn’t going to look but just take time off. (They owed me a month vacation…I know - old habits die hard – see post Doing the math).

It was about a month from the time I had quit, mailed a resume and started where I work now. Oh well, so much for taking time off and not working. The difference was how much I disliked my old job was the equivalent of how much I like the one I have now. Instead of dreading 14 years, I can’t believe it has been 11 - it has gone that well.

But I am still not sure the reason for mentioning it. I’m not crazy about the idea that they will say something at work about it, like I’ve done something out of the ordinary instead of just doing what I’m supposed to do all this time. I guess it’s necessary to have landmarks? I seem to stick no matter what?

Maybe I mention it not because of how long or how many years I’ve been here or there. I was at my previous job 14 years and it doesn’t seem so entirely commendable since I was so miserable. Maybe the reason I mentioned it is not about the length of time I’ve been there, but how much I appreciate having a place I enjoy spending most of my waking hours.

So, staying factual, it is an anniversary date for me today. To me it isn't about years.

TT

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment at any time! TT