Thursday, October 8, 2009

Room for cream?

I had an appointment for some blood work the other day. It was nothing out of the ordinary, just a regular yearly thing but I needed to fast from midnight until after I was finished with my appointment. Now you know the only problem I have with that is I can’t run straight to the coffee machine as soon as I wake up.

But I did well that morning. I avoided going into the kitchen and headed out. I didn’t have to wait long and I was finished without any real delays. I even mentioned to the nurse how I didn’t seem to be missing my coffee as much as I thought I would have. I was feeling really proud of myself.

The lack of coffee didn’t seem to be as big an issue as I thought it was going to be. I was managing quite well and didn’t feel an overwhelming anxiety about my lack of morning coffee. Good for me! But I was delusional.

I went through the drive-thru of the Starbucks that is located closest to the office. I gave my order. “Venti black coffee” – same as always. The voice squawked back at me – “room for cream?” Pause.

Why do they ask me that every time? They work at a coffee house. Haven't they heard the term black coffee before? Don't they know what that means? Wouldn’t adding cream take away from the blackness? If it’s black coffee what would I do with the extra room?
You can tell I’m missing my coffee by this point, can’t you? But I’m cool… “No need, thanks,” and drive up to the window.

That’s when it really hits me. That glorious smell, that unmistakable aroma was wafting directly at me through the drive-thru window. Oh help, I surrender. I can’t bear not having it. Hurry, now…come on, I said NOW…its black coffee for god’s sake, not that frou-frou whipped candy-coated saccharine sweet mess you serve, just pour it in the cup and give it to me already!

“Here you go,” she said as she handed me the cup.
“Could I have some napkins, please,” I answered smiling.

She didn’t have a clue as I took the napkins, pulled the car forward and downed a big gulp.

Ahhhh, better. Close call.

TT

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment at any time! TT