Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Snowball watch

What has happened to the last two weeks? How did we get from there to here so fast? I can’t even remember where it went or what I have been doing. Is this some sort of short trip time travel I’ve been experiencing? When did I board that space craft and who paid for my ticket?
Doesn’t it seem that way? You get to the last quarter of each year and wonder what happened to the time. I was in line at the grocery store and the checker asked if I was ready for Halloween. It dawned on me, oh yeah, Halloween…that’s this week, right? This week! It is in a few days! Oh, well then I guess it will come if I’m ready or not.
It has gotten easier for me to say that these days. It’s easier for me to shrug and say it will come if I am ready or not. It must be since I do all the traditional preparation, get ready for holiday stuff, that it has become second nature to me. Oh, (yawn) is it that time again (looking at my watch)…is that happening again, already?
Maybe that’s what I’d like everyone to believe as I panic inside since it has crept up on me and I haven’t done a thing to prepare. I have to talk myself down. Now stay calm, you know what to do, just get it done without thinking about it. Don’t think how it’s impossible in this short amount of time! You can do this, you’ve done it before. You are good at this, it can be done. For crying out loud! What happened to the time! I’ve got nothing done!
And it just keeps zooming by. It starts with Halloween and rolls right into the holidays. Sure enough the holidays will have come and gone before I even get a chance to think about it. Let’s face it, you get to this time of the year, every year, and that tiny snowball starts coming down the steep incline, picks up speed and turns into a giant avalanche designed to crush everything in its path catching everything and everyone yelling and screaming as it pulls them into its huge mass leaving a deep entrenching trail behind it. Not a pretty picture.
I need to find that time travel space craft. I need to figure out how to get myself a ticket that will have me arrive after all of that. “I would like a ticket to leave now and arrive on Dec 31st, please."
There is one thing that I will get done and not forget to do before I leave. 
I won't forget to chill the champagne.
TT

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment at any time! TT