Friday, October 2, 2009

Not about the Petit fors

Someone just suggested a new book for me. Actually, he didn't suggest one but asked if I had read one. It turns out I had not read the book he was asking about. He was hoping I had read this book because he wanted to talk about it. He explained he had just finished it and the problem was he wasn’t sure if he liked it or not. He was hoping I had read it to find out what I thought and which way I was leaning on it.

Gosh. I wish I had read it! I know how he feels about reading something and wanting to throw it around. I feel like I missed a really good discussion. It’s been a while since anyone I know around me has asked me about a book…or suggested a book…or even if anyone around has even read a book. I believe there was once a time when I would come into work and a pile of books would be on my desk from people that wanted me to read them. They left me all kinds of books I never would have picked up myself. And they knew I would read them…and tell them what I thought. And there would be really good discussions about this part or that. There would be books we both liked or there would be books where I would point out parts that weren’t believable to me.

Like the one that had a scene on a yacht after a murder that occurred during a party. A group of detectives were called in and asked to wait but they could take advantage of the snacks. They all (big, tough, street-smart homicide detectives) started talking about the different kind of petit fors that were available. Believable? I don’t think so. If it had been one detective out of the group – maybe - but not all having this knowledge. How many male homicide detectives might know what a petit for is? For that matter, how many female homicide detectives might know? One more step further…how many people in general know? And all of the detectives were discussing petit fors like they were all trained pastry chefs while waiting to check out the murder scene? Really?

I am probably too critical, but it made for interesting discussion after we had both read the book. And I doubt I missed exactly that type of discussion today but I missed one just the same.

I’ll pick up the book suggested and see what I think. Maybe it won’t be too late to start up an interesting discussion. And no, thank goodness, it isn't likely to be about petit fors.

TT

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment at any time! TT