Monday, October 26, 2009

Positive feedback

I have had an opportunity for the tiniest bit of feedback on some recent posts. I got really uppity and splattered a link to Room for cream?… http://tessatoday.blogspot.com/2009/10/room-for-cream.html, to a batch of friends. Somehow I was feeling good about this one in particular and got the courage and confidence to send it out hoping to either confirm or deny what I was thinking about it. It turned out I did get some really good responses on it and it helped confirm that, at least with this post, I was on the right track on trusting my instinct.
It was good to hear some of the positive reinforcement. It was just the boost I needed. It helped me with sorting through my own thoughts of whether what I thought was good, really was good to someone else. That doesn’t mean I don’t try to overanalyze some of the feedback I get. That is just the way I am when it comes to something important. And I need to remember that these were friends that were giving me feedback so you have to factor in that they might have been trying to spare my feelings. They should know I would much rather have them tell me, it wasn’t any good and this is why. If they don’t add the why, I will ask 20 questions to find out because I can’t fix it if I don’t know. Maybe that is what they were trying to avoid. My 20 questions.
I thought an interesting compliment came when someone prefaced it by saying, in my unbiased opinion. I knew something wasn’t quite right when I heard that but my mind was already speeding along to the next thing so I didn’t get a chance to circle back to it. I thought about it later. Did I miss their veiled subtlety? How unbiased could it be? It was a dear friend, knows me very well and was probably trying desperately to avoid my 20 questions. Gosh, missed that! And here I am the queen of subtlety and didn’t latch on to that one! Like I said, they know me pretty well.
But the feedback was good. I would always prefer to debate it longer to try to learn more on what I could be doing better.  I will always be looking for ways to do it better. 
There is one bit of absolutely strong positivity that Dante gave to me that I will not soon forget. He was referring to my two posts about my confusion and wanting answers about writing that I had concocted fictionally. He said, “Mom, you created an Alice in Wonderland type place except it’s more like Writers in Wonderland.”
I can’t tell you how good it made me feel to hear that he not only liked the posts but that I had conjured up these images for him. And that’s all I’ve ever wanted to do with the writing. I've wanted to conjure something up for each reader.

TT
I seem to be linking a bit to myself lately but these are the Writers in Wonderland posts (also known as Rules of Writing).  Hope you enjoy.
http://tessatoday.blogspot.com/2009/07/rules-of-writing.html
http://tessatoday.blogspot.com/2009/09/rules-of-writing-2.html

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment at any time! TT