Wednesday, November 25, 2015

Turkey Days Eve

It's the day before Thanksgiving and the activities start this afternoon. It isn't easy planning and preparing for a feast of this magnitude but years of doing it the same way has its advantages. I've worked out most of the kinks in timing of what to do when. It seems simple but if you are making pies and cornbread that need to go into the oven you cannot do that if your oven is occupied by a turkey roasting for many hours. It even comes down to the shopping. Some things can be bought the weekend prior and some produce items need to be bought right before the deadline. This method also ensures you can pick up any items you forgot. I've figured out all those logistics over the many years of preparing this menu.

I guess the best way to start is to list the menu.
Roast Turkey
Cornbread Stuffing
Gravy
Mashed Potatoes
Sweet Potatoes
Cranberry Sauce
Green Beans
Carrots
Broccoli
Cauliflower
Collard Greens
Cheese Sauce
Rolls
Apple Pie
Pumpkin Pie
Whipped Cream
Wine

Most items can be purchased the weekend before, especially the turkey so it can start to defrost in the refrigerator. I buy all the produce the day before. I usually get out of work early, go straight to the store to get all the fresh items and the items I forgot, then come home.

Wednesday afternoon, I start baking the apple and pumpkin pies. I will also make cornbread which will go into the stuffing. I take the turkey out of the refrigerator and pull the giblets and neck out and put those on to cook. The turkey goes back to the fridge. By doing it this way I have the beginnings of my stuffing that will be prepared first thing Thursday morning. I will also have my pies baked and cooled which frees the oven for the turkey roasting the next day.

I can't wait to get started.
TT

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment at any time! TT