Tuesday, November 24, 2015

Big Turkey

It's 22 1/2 pounds. It's the biggest one I could find. In fact, it must have been so big that when I was trying to put it in my cart, the man close-by insisted on helping. That is just how it is. It doesn't matter if it is more than twice the amount of food needed for everyone. It is supposed to be that much. And that is only the turkey.

This event we have created around Thanksgiving is truly a tradition. Not a single thing has changed about it for more years than I can remember or count back. I know it started very early in those years when little boys were young and so was I. There might have been a few items on the menu that didn't make a comeback but mostly it grew into the phenomenon it is today. If Thanksgiving is the holiday for food, we have it aced. Nothing on this menu changes and it is large. I have tried to suggest we make a few substitutions and/or deletions but it is always roared back with a resounding NO! There isn't even a chance of decreasing the amounts or the large size of the protein. It is meant for leftovers. Even if the little boys are now tall and not living under my roof, they still want to have the food ready to pull from their refrigerators to make another plate for the day after and the next.

I am not allowed to go smaller. So now I make sure to buy two extra aluminum foil roasting pans. These are used for the primary purpose of filling with leftovers when the meal is finished. One goes to one boy and one goes to the other. They are able to take Thanksgiving to their homes and keep the tradition exactly the same as it has been since they were young and so was I.

It isn't any more trouble to make a large turkey instead of a small. There is no way I will be the one to break tradition.
TT

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment at any time! TT