Wednesday, November 18, 2015

Faux writing

I gave two reviews yesterday to two different people who requested I take a look at their writing. Every so often I get these through the writing.com site. I don't really participate in the site the way it is set up. It's more of a social media mecca for a lot of people who have varying degrees of interest in writing or just have a network of on-line faux friends while setting up contests. Did I say fake? I can't say that. Since I don't participate or have any friends on the site it isn't fair for me to determine the extent of anyone else's relationships. I'm not so much into social media, can you tell?

But I was asked to give my thoughts on two different short pieces. I did reply to both and received a note back from one who was very appreciative. She felt I had given her something useful to get going on and start working again. She had a good way with a phrase. I haven't heard back from the other. It might be a time difference and it might be they just don't know it's polite to at least say thanks for taking the time but I thought your suggestions were garbage. They will probably go on their merry way and find another faux person to give them advice. That's okay, too. You asked I gave. Don't ask me a question if you don't expect me to answer.

But the good part about writing these reviews is I have to really pay attention to what is on the page. It makes me be a little better at writing because it reminds me that my own writing cannot be a sentimental journey of loving and cuddling every word or sentence. You can't have that much attachment to what you put down. You have to know everything can and will be cut, edited out, and written again. There are no lasting relationships with what goes down on the page. At least there isn't in the early stages. All those words I've written are only gathered together on a page in a type of their own social media mecca. All are false until proved real. They aren't proven real until they all say thank you at the end of a reading and make polite to the reader. Otherwise they are merely degrees of garbage and need to be sent on their merry way.
TT

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment at any time! TT